PDA

View Full Version : Another AK Play

radioheadfan
01-03-2005, 08:44 PM
$60 Buy In Live Tourney

Started with 50 players down to 17. Tourney pays out 6 people and the top 3 get most of the cash as usual.

At this point in the tournament I have about 8K in chips putting me in 3rd or 4th chip position. The guys with more chips than me only have me covered by 1 or 2K.

The blinds are currently 200/400 with a 50 ante. My table is 9 handed.

I'm in middle position with AK offsuit. EP guy (not a good player) min-raises to 800. This could mean any two broadway cards or a pair he's not too fond of. The guy to my immediate right (a fairly loose young asian player) who has me covered by about 1K calls the min-raise.

I push in quickly. Comments? Standard? Anyone call or re-raise less here?

-----

He calls me fairly quickly with KQo (and flops the nut straight).

How good or bad was his call?

Anyone make that call for most of your chips with KQo?

Who calls the min-raise with KQo? Who re-raises with it? (Remember the original raiser is not a good player).

Thanks for your comments.

Go Blue
01-03-2005, 08:52 PM
Who called with the KQ? The raiser or the asian guy? Also, what was the size of the raiser's stack?

Lloyd
01-03-2005, 08:55 PM
A normal raise would be around T3500, which is about half your stack. Therefore, it's perfectly fine to go all-in. You might want to just make a normal raise to entice someone to call but you're obviously risking an Ax coming along and drawing out on you.

Anytime you get all your chips in the pot when you are such a big favorite is a good thing. He shouldn't have called your raise unless he was essentially pot committed already. Frankly, he shouldn't have called the first raise to begin with but you didn't ask that question.

radioheadfan
01-03-2005, 09:04 PM
The deep-stacked asian guy called me with his KQo. So he was far away from being pot committed. He had me covered.

And I agree that the asian guy shouldn't have called the original min raise with KQo.

zaxx19
01-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Thats a horrid raise from KQ...just atrocious. I like your move bc there is enough in the pot and it shows you as a looser player not to be trifled with. You dont really hate a call here either bc a coin flip with extra chips isnt the worst thing to ever happen...AA KK..oh well.

Lloyd
01-03-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats a horrid raise from KQ

[/ QUOTE ]

What raise?

Go Blue
01-04-2005, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I think that your raise was good. An UTG min raise by a not so good player could really mean anything, but even if he had AA or KK, I'd think he'd try to call and reraise. A flat call of 800 by the asian guy with a big stack would probably tell me that he has a hand like KQ, KJ, or a low to medium pair. The fact that's he's a big stack could very well mean that he's not a good player and simply got lucky, so he thought that his KQ is a great hand and that he'd get to see a multi way flop for 800. In a live $60 tourney, you have to figure that most of the players are terrible (at least that's what I've seen with live tournies of around this buyin). So yeah, you made the right move I think, and he made a TERRIBLE play. I'd be steaming if I were you. Lol.