PDA

View Full Version : 99, played correctly?

wiggs73
01-03-2005, 08:33 PM
2-4 table, sitting on $106, new guy sits down and buys in for $500. i immediately tag him as someone who will be aggressive, otherwise, why the high buy-in? (this is played on pokerroom, by the way). Table has been mostly tight-passive so far. New guy with all the cash, raises UTG, folds to me in the cutoff, i call with 99, blinds fold. flop comes 247, rainbow. he bets, i raise, he raises, i cap, he calls. turn brings a king. action is check, bet, call. river is an 8 and action is check, check. He shows down KQo and takes the pot.

I play mostly $6-$22 SNGs and do quite well at them. I have played 2-4 in AC before with good success, but not enough to dub myself a good limit player. Hoping to hear if I could have played this hand any differently... the thought of him having a higher pair than I did crossed my mind, but the amount of time he took to make the raises after the flop made me think he was on 2 high cards, probably AK or AQ. I think maybe the only thing I could have done differently is not capped it on the flop, but doing so quite possibly bought me a cheap turn and river. Thoughts?

Shillx
01-03-2005, 08:35 PM
Looks like either a preflop muck or 3-bet to me.

Brad

Smasharoo
01-03-2005, 09:04 PM
Raise preflop to isolate what's probably two overcards and avoid playing against 5 overcards or whatever.

Also, capping the flop was silly.

Unless you're psychic or can see his hand you're behind to most three-bets there.

He's going to play AA, KK, QQ, JJ exactly the same way here and most people even very agressive players aren't going to play KQ that way.

Stork
01-03-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks like either a preflop muck or 3-bet to me.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a real read, I think a call is fine here. I definetely wouldn't muck to an unkown, presumably a lag. This hand confirms that he is a bit laggy, and if Hero had known this before the hand, I think a 3-bet would be good, but a call is ok too. I think folding would be pretty bad.

Stork
01-03-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, capping the flop was silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all, he could easily still have the best hand, and it also had a good shot of getting him a free card on the turn.