PDA

View Full Version : Was this a bad laydown? KK against a turn raise...

mtdoak
01-03-2005, 08:33 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

I bet for information here.
Turn: (6.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

I fear i am bordering on overcalling if i call. I put MP1 on ace rag. I just can't figure out what i beat here that he can raise UTG with.

River: (11.25 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

cpk
01-03-2005, 08:50 PM
This is not a horrible laydown given that you'll have to call a bet on the river. This reduces the apparent odds to below 5:1, so as long as he's not bluffing more than 15% of the time or so it's correct (as long as he has A-rag and not a lower 2 pair). It doesn't appear to be an obvious semibluff, either.

In general, in low-limit games a raise on the turn means that a single pair is no good, and probably not even top pair. In general, you should call with an overpair because you have 8 or so outs against two pair and the pot odds are generous. But, even A2 has you beat here, so it's time to go bye-bye.