PDA

View Full Version : habitual mini raisers

mr pink
01-03-2005, 06:13 PM
how do you deal with this player?

he only open raises for the minimum preflop, open bets/raises the minimum on the flop, and then only miniraises if bet for the rest of the hand... he only bets using the buttons -

bet, call, or raise...

they're aggressive in that they bet and raise A LOT, but they don't adjust their wagers to represent any hands. they'll minibet/raise tptk, or bottom pair, a flush draw, gutshot, etc... they're difficult for me because i never have any idea where they're at with their hands. they're mini raise could mean a monster or it could mean a flush draw...

i'm sure you guys have run across these guys before... how do you deal with them?

peace - jeff

ugly24
01-03-2005, 06:50 PM
fortunately for me you asked "how do you deal with them?" so I can respond --- had you asked "what is the best way / right way to deal with them?" I'd be waiting for others to respond.

My 2 cents :
Preflop: Raise BIG (8 - 12x BB) when you have strong A, suited A, pairs TT or better. Just be prepared to shift to check/call (probably getting odds to call to even 2 overcards if you miss) or check/fold if you miss. Suited connecters are great to play against these guys because they'll make your draws cheap and you're not going to have to deal with TPTK decisions, so play more of these even from MP.
PostFlop : draws are cheap so you can usually see the turn cheap or free if you want to. If you're playing big cards and have TPTK or an overpair look for a C/R (in my limited experience this tends to piss them off and they call w/mediocre hands thinking you're trying to bully them). Its fantastic to have them on your left because you can check, they min bet and the 2 or 3 or 4 others in the pot will call the min bet and then you pop with a raise to catch all of them, even if its for a small amount.
Turn : not much different than flop.
River : value bet! If you're hand looks good, make them pay. if not, check and call their min bet for a cheap showdown.

Its amazing how frustrating it can be to play against these type players. I just try to remember how profitable they can be when you want to play to a draw (I mean I've seen min bets with 2 callers and it gets to me and the pot is offering 40 to 1) and how often they call a pot bet on the river with mediocre holdings.

Lastly --- DO NOT BLUFF these guys on a regular basis and if they've caught you once (even if it was the last session) don't try it again because they WILL call with ANY pair.

Play Well!
/images/graemlins/crazy.gifThe Ugly One! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

TrailofTears
01-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I ask them if they know that they are playing NL and not limit. I have also seen people like this and in my opinion, they are just not very good players. If they were, they would no better than to employ this strategy. I treat them like they deserve and if they catch a hand against me, at least I know I am only gonna lose a set amount instead of doubling them up or taking my whole stack.

To be honest, I don't really vary my play much, except I know that they are calling machines so I don't bluff them as much. I like these types of players and I am very comfortable playing against them. They let me draw for cheap and will call my monsters with very mediocre hands. Ideal opponents.

Best of luck,
ToT

ugly24
01-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Just got back to checking this thread.
I agree with everything you've said except 1 small point:

why remind them that its no limit? I love the quote "Don't tap the aquarium, you'll scare the fish." If they like playing "click-button" poker, let them. No need to encourage aggresiveness in the weak.

Play Well!
/images/graemlins/crazy.gifThe Ugly One! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif