PDA

View Full Version : J8s with 2 late blinds

Eratosthenes
01-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Because players pop in and out of online small stakes games so frequently, we are often playing against one or two late postition posters. I open up both my limping and raising standards when there are extra posters. I would like to hear what more experienced players have to say on this subject in general and on this hand in particular. Comments on all streets will be appreciated.

This was a pretty normal 2/4 table with 4 or 5 seeing most flops and not many preflop raises. I have about 30 hands with UTG, who seems fairly tight, but a little passive. About 4 hands before he flopped the nut straight, smooth called and check raised the river.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $2. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (7 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB

Fat Nicky
01-03-2005, 05:54 PM
J8s is too weak to limp in the spot for me.

ZZZ
01-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I still fold this. I'd play J9s.

Given UTG's description, I guess your river check is OK. I'm betting this against 95% of the players at this level though. Probably in the heat of battle, I'm betting against this player too, but it's hard to put him on a hand that you beat and that he'll call. Maybe QT, A9?

ZZZ

jayrutz2
01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
I would fold J8s and raise J9s. I want to be the aggressor against extra posters, not just another limper for 2 reasons, 1) if they have junk they may fold making the money dead! 2) if we both miss they will highly likely much their hand on a flop bet, which is an automatic if checked to me...

I love the posters, but don't think you can loosen up that much esp from MP. I want at least a moderately stong drawing hand in case it is re-raised or many handed...J8s no, J9s problably, maybe even suited connectors as low as 56s

K