PDA

View Full Version : I took a shot at 2/4 NL . . .

AncientPC
01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
and I'm backing down. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm down 2 buy-ins (-$800) and it's enough. I'm properly bankrolled and don't have a psychological drawback when playing with more money, but I can't handle the swings as much at the end of the day.

Before I used to 8 table .25/.5 NL, then it was 6 tabling .5/1 NL, then 4 tabling 1/2 NL. However since I'm only 2 tabling 2/4 NL it feels like variance is going through the roof.

I honestly don't think I'm being outplayed, I'm just getting bad beats but I could just be tricking myself. I got stacked on three seperate plays:

1) Folded to me with K9s on button, I raise 4BB to steal, BB calls. Flop comes 992 flush draw, he checks, I pot, he calls. Turn comes rag, making 2 flush draws, he checks, I push, he calls. He turns over 92 for flopped boat.

2) Another attempted steal from button with 76s. Flop comes 762, raising battle with one another that gets us both all in. He turns over 85o and catches the straight.

3) Raise with JJ from button, 2 callers. Flop is T98 rainbow. Two people all in, I don't catch improve and villain in the SB turns over 76o for flopped straight.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

jtr
01-03-2005, 10:21 PM
Nasty luck there, sorry to hear it.

Doesn't sound like you're being outplayed, but I guess it's wise to step down again, until you have enough cash that a few buy-ins to this game feels like small change.

Where are you playing this, by the way? UB? PokerStars?

Cheers,
--JTR.

Garland
01-03-2005, 10:40 PM
I haven't moved up to $2/$4 yet, but it's not too far from my future. Here goes:

Hand #1: I strongly feel that no limit there's little reason to steal blinds like in limit. I think the play here is to call preflop and try to steal on any flop. The blind who called with 92 was an idiot for calling with 92, but got lucky that you flopped 9 with the 2nd nut kicker at the same time he flopped a boat. There's no way you get away from this hand. I would lose my stack here just about every time. That's just bad luck. The 92 will eventually lose his money from his horrible loose calls.

Hand #2. You got the money in with the best hand. He pushed on a draw and he got lucky. You have nothing to complain about. The only problem is I think you need to get the "steal the blind" thoughts out of your mind.

Hand #3. You need to release this hand when it comes back to you all-in with two players. Actually this depends on your stack sizes, which you need to indicate. There's far too much chance that at least one of them has two pair and/or a straight with that coordinated board. A set is also possible.

Garland