PDA

View Full Version : Live tourney - 12 people left....what do you think?

PCBH
01-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Live tournament $300 freezeout. Started with 240 people with $T 5000 each. Down to the last 12 people, 6 at each table. Everyone is in the money. 12th place pays ~700.

I am 2nd at my table in chips with 60,000. Leader has 100,000.
I am BB for 20,000 and 1,000 ante. I have Kh 7d.
Folds around to SB who calls. I am about to raise all-in (i figured my king was good because SB didn't raise, and the blinds were so big that I thought this was the right play) as the dealer starts the flop prematurely. I call for the floor and they say to shuffle the 3 cards back in and re-flop.

I don't know if I was flustered or frustrated or what, but instead of raising pre-2nd-flop, I check.

Flop comes Ah 6h 2h.
SB checks. I check.

Turn is 3s. SB goes all-in, I call, he shows 5c, 7d for inside draw, no pair.

River is 4d. He makes straight and I'm down to 10,000, just enough for a SB...I'm out next hand in 11th for $900.

Brad F.
01-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Well, my first impression is this tournament needs something done to it because if the chip leader only has 10 times the big blind with two tables left it becomes a crap shoot as it is.

So in this case, sure, why not push preflop? Many different things can happen in a tournament, including dealer mistakes, and if you let them get to you you will lose. After the flop here I don't think I get away from the all-in, but mostly because of the structure. I would've pushed on the flop if he checked possibly unless you had a good read on him that he'd slowplay something.

Overall, played ok, but you have at best 12 outs on the river against most cards he'd go all-in with, so you'd need about 4:1 pot odds, which I don't think you got. Again though I don't think this is a math question really with the structure you had.

Brad

PCBH
01-03-2005, 05:27 PM
This tournament is played weekly at The Hardrock in Florida, and they changed the blind structure to speed up the tournament...it was a big mistake, one I hope will soon be remedied.

Unfortunately with the blinds the way they were it forces each bet to be an all-in. thanks

Goodie54
01-03-2005, 06:02 PM
What was your thought process as to why you didn't go all in on this flop? That seems to be a horrible play with the structure the way it is. You should take every oppurtunity to win the pot with so much money in there.

Peace

Goodie

whiskeytown
01-03-2005, 06:09 PM
too passive preflop and post flop - you were stack committed and you waited to make your move till he had outs....

RB