PDA

View Full Version : Learning 7-card Stud

BAK
01-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I am really sorry if this has been posted before. I am clearly not up to the search function here, since I rarely get any hits when I try to search.

Someone posted here or the HE Micro-limits that to be a good HE player you should also play Stud and Omaha. I have never played 7-card stud before and checked it out with the play money tables (not very satisfactory) and dipped my toe in for $10 at PP .50/$1 just for a taste. I have reread the Stud section of Super Systems and ordered "7-card Stud for Advanced Players" (admittedly not the best place to start, but I was ordering a couple of other books and thought I would take a look.)

So, my question is what internet site is the best site to practice 7-card Stud where the play is such that I can learn to play correctly without having a huge BR to start out? The .50/$1 on PP with a .25 ante seems a bit stiff. I was thinking a .05 ante would be better, but maybe that is not true.

Thanks!

SheridanCat
01-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I don't play a lot of 7-Card Stud since it's not really available where I play (other than 1-5 which is too boring for words). I enjoy it when I get a chance to play it though.

I was looking for a review of Roy West's 7 Card Stud but I couldn't find one among Mason's reviews. I liked it pretty well when I read it a couple years ago. The 2+2 book for Advanced Players is very good, of course. Mason seemed to like The Greatest Book of Poker for Winners by George Epstein and Dr. Daniel Abrams. He gave it an 8, which is pretty high. You can read the review here. (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=books&Number=450677&Forum= ,,,,,f19,,,,,&Words=book%20reviews&Searchpage=5&Li mit=25&Main=450677&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name= 3&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&old ertype=&bodyprev=#Post450677)

While it's important for a poker player to be well-rounded in the modern games, it's not so important that you confuse yourself by trying to learn more than one game at a time. Get comfortable with one before adding another.

Regards,

T

slickterp
01-03-2005, 05:18 PM
prima has .50/1 games with a nickel ante. i started dabbling in stud recently and find it quite enjoyable. lots of chasers.

BAK
01-03-2005, 06:57 PM
Thank you both.

I wondered about checking out Stud when I am a new HE player, but it looked like a lot of fun, so I thought I would give it a try. I have a lot to learn about poker in general, but it seemed like there were many concepts in common.

gusly
01-03-2005, 08:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The .50/$1 on PP with a .25 ante seems a bit stiff. I was thinking a .05 ante would be better, but maybe that is not true.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started to dabble in 7-card Stud HiLo recently, just to take a break from the Hold'em routine. I also thought that the .25 ante would eat me up, but I've found it to be pretty reasonable.

I've never read a poker book on 7-card Stud, and I stomp all over the .50/$1 games. Basically, you have a lot more information about what your opponents have, and you get a lot of players chasing the low. Maybe it's different at higher limits...

I had some trouble with card memorization at the beginning, especially because of my ADD, but just doing it over and over again has made it a lot easier.

Good luck...