PDA

View Full Version : Missed bet on the River ok?

youngin20
01-03-2005, 03:54 PM
I missed a bet here on the river, but is that ok?
Player not that tricky, so I thought he would raise if he had a Q in the hole

*********** # 4 **************
PokerStars Game #1026889516: 7 Card Stud Limit ($0.25/$0.50) - 2005/01/01 - 22:14:56 (ET)
Table 'Cevenola'
Seat 1: harlem ($11.95 in chips)
Seat 3: youngin ($4.95 in chips)
Seat 4: juniata ($11.75 in chips)
Seat 5: ombre_3 ($50.40 in chips)
Seat 6: scrapperdog5 ($16.25 in chips)
Seat 8: Airflowman ($2.50 in chips)
harlem: posts the ante $0.05
youngin: posts the ante $0.05
juniata: posts the ante $0.05
ombre_3: posts the ante $0.05
scrapperdog5: posts the ante $0.05
Airflowman: posts the ante $0.05
*** 3rd STREET ***
Dealt to harlem [Ac]
Dealt to youngin [7s Kc Kh]
Dealt to juniata [5s]
Dealt to ombre_3 [Qs]
Dealt to scrapperdog5 [6h]
Dealt to Airflowman [Td]
juniata: brings-in low $0.10
ombre_3: calls $0.10
scrapperdog5: folds
Airflowman: folds
harlem: calls $0.10
youngin: raises $0.15 to $0.25
juniata: calls $0.15
ombre_3: calls $0.15
harlem: calls $0.15
*** 4th STREET ***
Dealt to harlem [Ac] [3h]
Dealt to youngin [7s Kc Kh] [4s]
Dealt to juniata [5s] [2d]
Dealt to ombre_3 [Qs] [Qh]
Pair on board - a double bet is allowed
ombre_3: bets $0.50
harlem: folds
youngin: raises $0.50 to $1
juniata: folds
ombre_3: calls $0.50
*** 5th STREET ***
Dealt to youngin [7s Kc Kh 4s] [6s]
Dealt to ombre_3 [Qs Qh] [8s]
ombre_3: checks
youngin: bets $0.50
*** 6th STREET ***
Dealt to youngin [7s Kc Kh 4s 6s] [9s]
Dealt to ombre_3 [Qs Qh 8s] [9h]
ombre_3: checks
youngin: bets $0.50
*** RIVER ***
Dealt to youngin [7s Kc Kh 4s 6s 9s] [Js]
ombre_3: bets $0.50
youngin: raises $0.50 to $1
ombre_3: raises $0.50 to $1.50
youngin: calls $0.50
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ombre_3: shows [Jh 2s Qs Qh 8s 9h Ts] (a straight, Eight to Queen)
youngin: shows [7s Kc Kh 4s 6s 9s Js] (a flush, Jack high)
youngin collected $8.05 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $8.30 | Rake $0.25
Seat 1: harlem folded on the 4th Street
Seat 3: youngin showed [7s Kc Kh 4s 6s 9s Js] and won ($8.05) with a flush, Jack high
Seat 4: juniata folded on the 4th Street
Seat 5: ombre_3 showed [Jh 2s Qs Qh 8s 9h Ts] and lost with a straight, Eight to Queen
Seat 6: scrapperdog5 folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)
Seat 8: Airflowman folded on the 3rd Street (didn't bet)

timmer
01-03-2005, 11:21 PM
4 betting the river against a big open paired door who limp called a raise in front of an Ace on third is risky buisness.

putting in the second bet is fine calling the third bet is fine . even putting in the 4th bet is ok too . but in a game where heads up rivers enjoy unlimited numbers of raises I will just call the third bet in cases such as these..

this is how I play it

3rd bring limp limp <font color="red">raise </font> call call call

4th bet 1/2, fold, <font color="red"> call (Against a strong player I'll often fold with out some sort of redraw here sometimes with one as well. I would almost rather play it multi way because he will be forced to play in a more straight forward manner. Against weak players I will call because I will lose less when Im beat and they will lose more when their beat) </font> fold (likely)

5th if he checks <font color="red"> I check </font> if he bets <font color="red"> I will often call with a decent redraw, against a h00dlum I will call for the same reason as above</font>

6th If he checks <font color="red"> I will bet now with a good redraw (yours is pretty weak)</font> If he bets <font color="red">I call </font>

7th he bets <font color="red"> I raise </font> he reraises <font color="red"> I call</font>

nate1729
01-04-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm not quite sure that "not that tricky" means that he can't have trip queens on fourth; plenty of players will just call with (Qx)Q on third after a king raises. That said, plenty will automatically reraise with queens on third, and if he's one of these your read is more reliable.

Anyway, given that read I think your line is fine. I don't think you should feel bad about missing the river bet; with the weird xxxQQ boats (and bigger flushes) possible, not to mention bizarrely played QQQxx, your reads would have to be iron-clad to justify reraising.

Nice hand.

--Nate

Andy B
01-04-2005, 11:31 AM
Hand histories are hard to read. Write out a narrative.

Third street is fine. You can consider just calling, since you're not going to knock anyone out, and your kicker is nothing special. It's also deceptive. I still think raising is better.

On fourth, I'm not crazy about the raise. The double-bet by the open Queens should be enough to get the other guy to fold. You've basically announced that you have Kings, and he bet into you. A lot of players will do that automatically.

Since he keeps checking to you, it seems reasonable to proceed as if you have the best hand. I might take the free card on sixth myself. Raising the river is good. When he makes it three bets, I think it's close as to whether you should re-raise or not. If this were in a live game, I'd lean towards calling, as he could easily have a full house, and would re-raise you. He's looking at your spades and still raising. On-line, though, he can't re-raise, so I might just say the hell with it and re-raise. If you raise when the other guy can re-raise, you're laying 2:1, but here you're laying even money. Still, just calling is fine.