PDA

View Full Version : No read poker

Benman
01-03-2005, 03:49 PM
How well could you do in poker, let's say limit, if you played perfectly in every respect except you had no reads whatsoever on your opponents. Worse yet, they observe the way you play, and make adjustments if they are capable of doing that. But, you don't make any observations about your opponents' tendencies. The only thing you can adjust for is the size of the stakes. In other words, if you're playing in a 15/30 game, you can play as if everyone is a typical 15/30 player. Could you be a winning player? At low stakes only?

SpeakEasy
01-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Except for the part about your opponents being able to read you, this is on-line poker.

Anyone have success on-line?

binions
01-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Your hypo is impossible. Poker is a betting game, not a card game. Even if you can't see the person, there are reads based on betting patterns.

binions
01-03-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Except for the part about your opponents being able to read you, this is on-line poker.

Anyone have success on-line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on your comment, I can tell that you believe the answer to that question is no.

Of course, the answer to the question is yes.

Pepsquad
01-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Yes. IMHO, most micro-limit tables would be beatable with no read whatsoever because...

A) ABC Poker is really all micro-limits call for and
b) Many micro opponents are unable to adjust their play based on reads anyway.

mosquito
01-04-2005, 04:03 AM
It would seem that the higher the stakes,
the less likely success would be.

Clearly B+M 2-4 games are beatable with
strictly mechanical play.

I don't know where the line would be,
maybe 6-12?

K C
01-04-2005, 12:27 PM
This depends a lot on what you mean by "read." I take it you mean patterns and tendencies. This is going to depend on the level of play. If it's a soft game, and no one else is doing any reading at all, and you play well, you will still be profitable, although you will give something up. Assuming they are all reading you and you're not reading them though, you're in trouble to say the least /images/graemlins/smile.gif Among other things, they will adjust to your play, and since you're not reading them, you won't re-adjust, and your perfect play will be cracked /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com

jogger08152
01-04-2005, 02:16 PM
If you think there are no reads in online poker, you are much mistaken.

ThePenguin
01-06-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. Of course you can't look into your opponents' eyes every time they bet, but reading their betting habits and playing style is the key to being a successful online player. And yes, there are many successful online players

SpeakEasy
01-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Jeez, everyone, calm down. It was a feigned "typical" response like many who think that you can't get on-line "tells," and a rhetorical question. I guess I should be more blunt about humor.

I agree you can get info on-line. I observe betting patterns on-line. I'm having mucho success on-line, and so are a lot of the other 2+2 players.

PokerSlut
01-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Trust me, the line is NOT 6/12. I don't play limit regularly (I prefer NL/PL) but I have sat some 6/12 games while waiting for seats in other games. There was so much dead money in every pot that a blind monkey trained to play cards could beat that game.

pokerswami
01-08-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How well could you do in poker, let's say limit, if you played perfectly in every respect except you had no reads whatsoever on your opponents. Worse yet, they observe the way you play, and make adjustments if they are capable of doing that. But, you don't make any observations about your opponents' tendencies. The only thing you can adjust for is the size of the stakes

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless only you and one lone opponent are dealt in, you will be playing against a group of opponents. That is, a table. Think of reading the "game", that is, the table, as a collection of reads of individual players, but also having an "at this table, right now" personality. That is, the individuals are affected by the group.

If you don't read the group, then I don't see how you can play "perfectly in every respect except you had no reads whatsoever on your opponents".

How can you play "perfectly" if you can't at least read the game as being loose or tight? If you say you can judge that, then you are "reading" something. You may not consider the game as a whole as being an "opponent", but I maintain that effectively, it is.

A basic poker skill is game selection. Do you believe you will have a +EV at a particular table? If you do, then you're "reading" something. The limit amounts - 3/6; 4/8; 10/20; 20/40; etc. - don't tell you the personality of the table as a whole. Anyone with some serious B&M time can tell you about the rock tight 3/6 game and the ludicrously loose 20/40 game.

cowboyzfan
01-08-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you think there are no reads in online poker, you are much mistaken.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, there are many ways to "read your opponent" than by how he eats a cookie.