PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about A8o

tiltaholic
01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
File this under - everyday boring decisions that could be costing me money. Please refrain from the statement "switch to a better table", or variations thereof.

So, playing a relatively good table at Party 1/2. Usually there are 4 or so people to the flop. Every so often it gets folded to MP and he raises. It gets folded to me, in the SB, with A8o. What should I do if-

MP is a solid player? (I think I should fold, but usually I call)
MP is loose, but does not frequently raise preflop? (I think I should fold, but I usually call)
MP is both loose and likely to raise? (I think I should raise, but I usually call)

Thoughts?

davelin
01-03-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
File this under - everyday boring decisions that could be costing me money. Please refrain from the statement "switch to a better table", or variations thereof.

So, playing a relatively good table at Party 1/2. Usually there are 4 or so people to the flop. Every so often it gets folded to MP and he raises. It gets folded to me, in the SB, with A8o. What should I do if-

MP is a solid player? (I think I should fold, but usually I call)
MP is loose, but does not frequently raise preflop? (I think I should fold, but I usually call)
MP is both loose and likely to raise? (I think I should raise, but I usually call)

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote for a definite fold for 1 and 2. And quite possibly 3 with no position.

Wario
01-03-2005, 03:25 PM
I would fold all 3. You're out of position with a weak and easily dominated hand.

DMBFan23
01-03-2005, 03:26 PM
I probably wouldn't even call if it were a button raise, in all cases except a very loose button. I certainly wouldn't call an MP raise. different discussion from the BB, I think, but I don't know how much different.

BellyBuster7
01-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Good question, and one I could use help on too.
FWIW, I fold the first two and call the third. Based on other replies, maybe I shouldn't be calling the third.

Entity
01-03-2005, 04:15 PM
1) Fold.
2) Fold.
3) How likely to raise? Are we talking 30% PFR here? I'd still probably fold.

Rob

tiltaholic
01-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I guess folding is the way to go...

My thought process is somewhere between non-existent and thinking that, while potentially dominated, A8o (or A7, A9) is not a horrible shorthanded hand. Time to rethink.

Thanks for the replies.
-t

Carmine
01-03-2005, 05:02 PM
I agree with the majority and fold in all three cases. What I am curious about is what happens when we change the hand to A8s. I personally don't think the flush potential changes things that much, but am curious to hear what others think.

Wario
01-03-2005, 05:05 PM
I would still fold all three. Multiway this would make a big difference but I don't think it's so important heads-up.

Jaran
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Don't call here. If it's folded from the raiser to you, sometimes you might 3bet, but this is very read dependant.

-Jaran

btspider
01-03-2005, 05:44 PM
folds all 3. you are out of position and A8o is a hand which often begs for a free showdown HU.