PDA

View Full Version : 10 seaters vs 6 seaters

David04
01-03-2005, 02:57 PM
Which is better for a skilled player, 10 seater paying 3 or a 6 seater paying 2? Does it really matter, or is it more about personal preference?

Mr_J
01-03-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd think 6 seaters have lower variance and are quicker, but 10 seaters probally get a better ROI. I'd think for a good player, a 6 seater is just a 10 seater with higher blinds and 4 idiots already removed. Be interesting to compare hourly rates.

pooh74
01-03-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd think 6 seaters have lower variance and are quicker, but 10 seaters probally get a better ROI. I'd think for a good player, a 6 seater is just a 10 seater with higher blinds and 4 idiots already removed. Be interesting to compare hourly rates.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true if you look at a 6 seater as starting as a midway point through a 10 seat SNG...but its not.

if, on average u have 4 "idiots" at a 10 seater to start...then at a 6 seater, you'll have 2-3 to start. The blinds start off small and stacks are same so actually you're playing more hands naturally and this will favor the better postflop players because of stack depths and frequency of blinds and ability to limp often. There is less push or fold and more play...at least I find.

p

Mr_J
01-03-2005, 03:25 PM
"if, on average u have 4 "idiots" at a 10 seater to start...then at a 6 seater, you'll have 2-3 to start."

No, I said 4 will already be gone. There's still probally another 2-3 at the table /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NotMitch
01-03-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the 6 seaters offer a much higher ROI if you are good heads up.

Mr_J
01-03-2005, 04:33 PM
"I think the 6 seaters offer a much higher ROI if you are good heads up."

If you are awesome HU doesn't it make sense just to play HU in the first place /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NotMitch
01-03-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I think the 6 seaters offer a much higher ROI if you are good heads up."

If you are awesome HU doesn't it make sense just to play HU in the first place /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well sure, but a heads up match and heads up at the end of a SnG are 2 different animals. If you can play solid poker until the bubble, exploit the bubble and play well heads up the 6 handed sng is a great fit.

Mr_J
01-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Aren't you pretty much in the bubble almost right away in a 6 player? Is it top 3 or top 2 get paid?

"but a heads up match and heads up at the end of a SnG are 2 different animals"

How so? (I'm also talking about HU sngs not ring)

David04
01-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Top 2(at UB) get paid in a 6 seater.

NotMitch
01-03-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Aren't you pretty much in the bubble almost right away in a 6 player? Is it top 3 or top 2 get paid?

"but a heads up match and heads up at the end of a SnG are 2 different animals"

How so? (I'm also talking about HU sngs not ring)

[/ QUOTE ]

Top 2 where I play, and by bubble I'm thinking 3 handed and to a lesser degree 4 handed. The 3 major differences between heads up at the end of a 6 seater and a heads up sit and go are:

1. You have already played against the opp. for a while now and have some idea how he has been playing.

2. Stacks are shorter, avg stack is generally between 22 and 45 BB (assuming heads up starts at 50-100 or 100-200 at Stars).

3. Stack sizes are not equal.

So really getting heads up is very different than sitting vs someone you dont know and I think a good player has a bigger edge with this added info.

Mr_J
01-03-2005, 08:06 PM
"and I think a good player has a bigger edge with this added info"

True, but you'd want a larger advantage since the pay off is less regular. You had to go through 8 other plays (well they mostly knocked each other out).

The HU sngs sound interesting, might look into them more. On the other hand, multitabling HU sngs doesn't sound too good.

NotMitch
01-03-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

True, but you'd want a larger advantage since the pay off is less regular. You had to go through 8 other plays (well they mostly knocked each other out).

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats what I like about the 6 handed, you only have 4 people eliminated and its heads up. I know for my game as it stands these are the best SnGs to play.