PDA

View Full Version : Another ITM meltdown

jacks321
01-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Playing a $10+1 limit tourney on PS today, I went into the final 25 as the chip leader. Went out in 18th place. I lost half my stack to a bad beat, so there's nothing very interesting to report there. But after that, I seemed to just piss the last half of my stack away in a matter of a few hands. (blinds where 2000/4000, I started as chip leader with around 31,000) I really didn't feel like I was tilting and I was playing good hands, but still seemed to make more than my fair share of mistakes.

In the first hour, I play solid poker and build up my stack gradually. After that, I loosen up a bit and start stealing when it looks favorable. Near the bubble, I take a few more risks and try to pick off the people who are just trying to survive until they're in the money - then once I make it past the bubble I seem lost. Should I be tightening up to my early stage standards playing only top 10 hands until the final table? I know, table/read dependent but I seem to consistently get run over when I make it past the bubble.

Avgard
01-03-2005, 03:15 PM
I think you gave your own answer.

Your described play seemed great up to the bubble.

Early - played solid (tight) and built stack.

Middle - loosen a little and steal when right

Bubble - loosen more and take advantage of those trying to just survive to the money.

In the money, I think you need to tight up in your situation. As soon as people are in the money, it is usually an all in festival in NL. I know you are playing limit, it seems to be a similar situation. Now that people are in the money, they take chances to accumulate chips to make the final table. Since you have the chip lead, you should take chances and risks. I am not suggesting not playing, just tighten up immediately after everyone is in the money.

Usually there a lot of casualties right after your in the money and then it will get better after a few orbits. Then you can loosen a little and just play solid poker.

37offsuit
01-03-2005, 03:19 PM
Selective aggression after the bubble. Look for those who are trying to sneak into higher money and prey on them when it's your turn (remember, others will be doing this too). Figure out who's blind stealing and look for an opportunity to punish them when you finally get a hand. This can usually be a big swing in chips because you'll pick up the blinds plus the raise and if you get called, it will be by a hand that is less strong than usual.

If you have the biggest stack at the table, continue to build it by stealing the blinds of the vulnerable stacks. Don't go after the players that can hurt you, obviously. Sometimes you'll get played with by a smaller stack and get caught without the goods, but sometimes you'll win those hands too.

Edit: Avgard raises a good point for immediately after the bubble bursts. Only play top 10 hands for the first orbit or so (until the silliness dies down).