PDA

View Full Version : Does Shaun Alexander have a vaild argument?

Zoltri
01-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Is this another case of a selfish athlete pouting because he didnt get his own way or did Holgrem shaft him?

[ QUOTE ]
"This is the first time I've ever been back-stabbed in my life," Alexander said in the Qwest Field locker room after the Seahawks won the NFC West title by outlasting the Atlanta Falcons 28-26.

The focus of Alexander's frustration was what proved to be the game-winning touchdown in the fourth quarter. Faced with a second-and-goal from the Falcons' 1-yard line with 4 1/2 minutes to play, the call was for a sneak by quarterback Matt Hasselbeck.

Not a handoff to Alexander.

As a result, he finished with 80 rushing yards in the game and 1,696 for the season. The Jets' Curtis Martin, who began the day 72 yards behind Alexander, rushed for 153 in New York's overtime loss to the St. Louis Rams to finish with 1,697.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Didn't he fumble on the 1-yard line against the Jets?

Boris
01-03-2005, 02:17 PM
big time whiner. He had 19 carries. If you take away his longest rush he averaged 2.8yds/carry. He had his chance and blew it.

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
big time whiner. He had 19 carries. If you take away his longest rush he averaged 2.8yds/carry. He had his chance and blew it.

[/ QUOTE ]19 carries is nothing man.

jakethebake
01-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Wonderful that he's so concerned with his team winning the game rather than personal glory.

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this another case of a selfish athlete pouting because he didnt get his own way or did Holgrem shaft him?

[/ QUOTE ] How about both.

lu_hawk
01-03-2005, 02:22 PM
No, he is a selfish whiner. If Curtis Martin missed the mark by 1 yard you wouldn't hear a word out of him. He would just be happy to win the game.

nolanfan34
01-03-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.

Zoltri
01-03-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No, he is a selfish whiner. If Curtis Martin missed the mark by 1 yard you wouldn't hear a word out of him. He would just be happy to win the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point.

mmbt0ne
01-03-2005, 02:29 PM
Why didn't Alexander just tell the defense to let Warrick Dunn score the 2-point conversion. Then he could've racked up a couple more yards in overtime, but if the team lost, oh well. After all, that cheater Curtis Martin got to rush for almost an extra 12 minutes. HOW FAIR IS THAT!?!?!

B Dids
01-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Shaun has the record if he doesn't get cute and dances on two earlier runs in that drive.

From what I hear- he's basically a very self centered "me-first" kinda player. Doesn't sound like his teammates are big fans.

Shajen
01-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I wonder if in his contract he gets extra cashesh for being the top rusher in the NFL this year?

If so, I'd imagine it would be an extra $100-250k...nothing to sneeze at.

If I were him, I might be pissed off, but you wouldn't hear a peep out of me. Team first man. Up until this point I thought he was a non-selfish, not drawing too much attention to himself type of player. But then again, I don't watch Seattle much...

Weak, dude.

Zoltri
01-03-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if in his contract he gets extra cashesh for being the top rusher in the NFL this year?

[/ QUOTE ]
I never thought of that. I would be pissed too if that was the case. I would imagine his O-line would be ticked as well.

CCx
01-03-2005, 02:57 PM
I heard somewhere that the Seahawks owner came out and said that he'd pay the clause even if he missed the record - I just think Holmgren shafted him - he ran three straight times before the play at the goal line, and there was absolutely no reason they should not have given him the ball to run it in on that play.

I certainly don't think he's taking the right approach in steaming to the media right after his team won a division title, but he did get screwed.

jakethebake
01-03-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he ran three straight times before the play at the goal line, and there was absolutely no reason they should not have given him the ball to run it in on that play.

[/ QUOTE ]
...except that the other team was also aware he was 1 yard away from the title and a little misdirection is a goot thing.

[censored]
01-03-2005, 03:06 PM
It's natural to be disappointed and upset but it shows very little classs to got the media about it.

nolanfan34
01-03-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's natural to be disappointed and upset but it shows very little classs to got the media about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Being upset, OK, I can see that. But using the words "stabbed in the back"? That conveys that there was a concerted effort to keep him from getting the title, and give me a break, that wasn't the case.

ClaytonN
01-03-2005, 03:20 PM
What a douche. It's a team sport, for crying out loud.

Sundevils21
01-03-2005, 03:36 PM
I understand him being a little frustrated that the decision was to put the ball in Hassle's hands instead of his, but don't cry to the media about it.
Play for the name on the front of your jersey not the one on the back.

liquidboss
01-03-2005, 04:55 PM
I had a feeling this would happen. Alexander has always struck me as a selfish player. He always does better in nationally televised games and is always upset with how much he gets the ball. Everyone was sure that play from 1 yd out was going to Alexander but that's exactly why his number wasn't called. It was a good call to not go to him but as soon as I thought about it a figured a proud athlete like Alexander would be upset about it. He has no right to be mad, maybe disappointed but "stabbed in the back" is rediculous.

Where did that quote come btw?

BottlesOf
01-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Shut the [censored] up Shaun. I'm so sick of hearing bullshit like this. There were plenty of games where both Martin and Alexander got less carries then they could have for myriad reasons. Martin got it, you didn't, your team sucks more than the Jets, just deal with it.

Homer
01-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Hopefully he'll tear his ACL next week.

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 05:42 PM
we'll after this, I can say with a 90% certainty, Alexander won't be here next year.

jakethebake
01-03-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
we'll after this, I can say with a 90% certainty, Alexander won't be here next year.

[/ QUOTE ]
The whole situation sounds vaguely familiar. *cough*Cincinnati*cough*

bernie
01-03-2005, 05:47 PM
You know the Leon. The guy who wants his 'good' side in the interview with the sportscaster. The one who placed the teams loss squarely on the shoulders of his teammates. After all, he couldn't jump on his 4 fumbles. Leon can't do everything.

Shaun is mr. christian. Maybe he should've prayed a little harder and 'god'd' would've let him have that extra yard.

Pouty, whiny bitch.

It would've also helped if he didn't fall down to arm tackles earlier in the season. That run by the goalline was the hardest any of us have seen him run all year long.

b

wayabvpar
01-03-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That run by the goalline was the hardest any of us have seen him run all year long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without a doubt. The extra effort was so obvious that the rest of the Seahawks should have been bitching about being stabbed in the back for his less than 100% efforts the rest of the year.

I was furious with Holmgren when he called the sneak. After listening to Alexander shoot his mouth off, I am glad he got shorted. Way to distract the team before a PLAYOFF game, you cockmunch.

bernie
01-03-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was furious with Holmgren when he called the sneak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was a good call. Everyone thought it was going to Leon.

His quote in the paper: "It wasn't like we were going to lose anyway..." Has he actually watched the last few games they've been in? It's not like they've blown leads in the 2nd half all year or anything. Idiot. Im confident that if this went into overtime, they'd have lost.

[ QUOTE ]
The extra effort was so obvious that the rest of the Seahawks should have been bitching about being stabbed in the back for his less than 100% efforts the rest of the year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a testament to the O Line in how well he did this year given his penchant for finding turf at the touch of a hand. It's amazing he had that good of an average per rush that he had. He's a great open field runner, is what many say. What running back in the NFL isn't good in the open field?

Congrats to Curtis Martin. It's his fault for running for 153 yards. The bastard. What was he thinking?:)

b

bernie
01-03-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he does leave, we can only hope he takes Korin Robinson with him.

b

B Dids
01-03-2005, 06:28 PM
I think Koren's done with this team.

Then again- all reports are that Holmgren gave Koren a really long leash already- and look how well that worked out.

This season has not made me a Holmgren/Rhodes fan.

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 06:28 PM
hear hear!!!

Koren doesn't even seem like he enjoys playing football.

The Dude
01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Q: Do you think that, when he called the quarterback sneak, in the heat of the battle, Mike Holmgren knew Alexander was exactly one yard short of the rusing title?
I doubt it.

Q: Would Holmgren have given the ball to Alexander if he knew Shaun was 1 yard short?
I hope not. I want Holmgren out there calling the exact plays that give us the best chance to win the game. And while I would have thought that was giving the ball to Alexander to punch it in, Holmgren obviously didn't - and how can I possibly second-guess him in that decision?

Look, it's not like the Seahawks ever had a lead and the opportunity to run down the clock. When your team is behind the whole game, you're going to throw a lot of passes. Sure, 19 isn't very many carries, but it's not like we were giving the ball to Mack Strong a lot, or throwing short passes to run down the clock. Holmgren was in a position were calling pass plays was the best for the team. Period.

The worst thing that might come of this is that it probably will effect Alexander's likliness to return to Seattle next year. There's no doubt we want him to re-sign, but it sounds like he's pretty unhappy with people right now.

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 06:30 PM
everything else you said was fine except: and how can I possibly second-guess him in that decision? . Holmgren has made some weird calls already this year.

B Dids
01-03-2005, 06:34 PM
And to be fair, a lot of his bad calls involved passing in situations where a run would have been A LOT better.

If I'm Shaun, I'm not enthralled over how I was used, not because it hurt me, but because I think it hurt the team that we passed on a lot of 1st and 10s late in games.

The Dude
01-03-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holmgren has made some weird calls already this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but that one worked out fine. I have to admit, it wasn't what I was expecting, and likely wasn't what Atlanta's defense was expecting, so how can I say it was a bad call?

nolanfan34
01-03-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'm Shaun, I'm not enthralled over how I was used, not because it hurt me, but because I think it hurt the team that we passed on a lot of 1st and 10s late in games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. The first Rams game, for example.

It's so stupid, to put it in poker terms, it's like getting pissed off when you get rivered on your last session of the year, dropping your BB/100 below your goal number, when you could have easily passed it by putting in a little extra effort other times during the year.

stabn
01-03-2005, 06:49 PM
I think holmgren thought we'd get the ball back and he could give it to alexander for three downs minimum. You have to remember there was about 5:00 left on the clock when he called the sneak. Alexander should be blaming the defense for letting a nobody quarterback take the ball 80 years in the 4th quarter, not mike.

However, i can totally see how this would be really frustrating to alexander, especially since he only needed one yard, and holmgren easily could have called the play for him. Historically alexander has been pretty good at getting the ball in the endzone anyway. I'm totally willing to give him a pass on this, especially if he comes out in the next few days and either says he overreacted. It's not like he's doing stupid stuff all the time like robinson is.

Also, for those who say "especially before a playoff game". I think that argument is [censored]. The seahawks blow and are going nowhere. If we happen to get lucky and win our first playoff game we're losing the second for sure. Maybe it would be a decent argument if we were actually competitive...

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Holmgren has made some weird calls already this year.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but that one worked out fine. I have to admit, it wasn't what I was expecting, and likely wasn't what Atlanta's defense was expecting, so how can I say it was a bad call?

[/ QUOTE ]haha, I knew you were going to say this, and yeah its true. Personally, I don't know enough about football to state whether or not it was a good call. Also, I really don't care anymore /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bernie
01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Holmgren's ego is way in the way. The reason he's giving Koren the long leash? He doesn't want to admit he effed up in picking him in the 1st round. That would be him admitting he was actually wrong. The big fathead.

b

bernie
01-03-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. The first Rams game, for example

[/ QUOTE ]

The 1st rams game wasn't the offenses fault at all. The defensive playcalling sucked. For about 40 mins, they went into a prevent rushing the QB with 3 lineman.

The defensive playcalling this season has sucked. Especially in the 2nd halves. Not to mention the offense calling friggin conservo plays all 2nd halves. Playing not to lose sucks.

b

jakethebake
01-03-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He'll probably end up down here in Miami. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bernie
01-03-2005, 08:34 PM
It was a great call. I think it was 2nd down. If Hass doesn't make it, Leon's likely to get it on the next play.

b

bernie
01-03-2005, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Historically alexander has been pretty good at getting the ball in the endzone anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

Except lately he's been fumbling a bit in those spots. Holmgren doesn't exactly like that. see Ahman Green.

b

stabn
01-03-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Except lately he's been fumbling a bit in those spots. Holmgren doesn't exactly like that. see Ahman Green.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, i get your point. I'm just saying i can understand how shaun is feeling, and a lot of people snap out in cases like that. I don't think it makes him a bad guy.

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 10:36 PM
hmmmmmmmmm...... (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1958262)

ClaytonN
01-03-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yah, i get your point. I'm just saying i can understand how shaun is feeling, and a lot of people snap out in cases like that. I don't think it makes him a bad guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

He snapped out after they won the game and clinched home-field advantage next week. Pure classless.

Are you high?

stabn
01-04-2005, 12:13 AM
One yard man, one yard. How often have you come up so close to something you really wanted. Also, i wonder if he would have gotten a bonus for winning the rushing title?

Anyway, from salts quote:
"KIRKLAND, Wash. -- Shaun Alexander apologized Monday to fans -- but not his coach or teammates -- for saying he was "stabbed in the back" by Mike Holmgren's quarterback sneak call that may have cost him a rushing title."

Which isn't quite true. I was watching the news earlier and he said he was going to apologize to mike h when he saw him. So yah, he isn't a bad guy.

Sports fans sure love bandwagon hating people when they do any little tiny thing wrong.

ClaytonN
01-04-2005, 12:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One yard man, one yard. How often have you come up so close to something you really wanted. Also, i wonder if he would have gotten a bonus for winning the rushing title?

Sports fans sure love bandwagon hating people when they do any little tiny thing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, valuing once's own accomplishments/records over the team's success is detrimental to the sport. If you fail to see that, there's no sense in me arguing with you.

stabn
01-04-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Once again, valuing once's own accomplishments/records over the team's success is detrimental to the sport. If you fail to see that, there's no sense in me arguing with you.

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously. It still hurts to miss it, especially by so little. Getting a little peeved and saying something you shouldn't one time is something that can easily be forgiven once someone apologizes. Especially as quickly as shaun has.

If he had a history of this kind of behavior that would be different.

bernie
01-04-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like halfassing it on many runs until he's 'close' to the record? Interesting what motivates him to play hard. Funny, I've never seen him try and run through guys like he did on his final run all season long.

He's actually painful to watch run in the open field as he seems to be looking for a place to flop down whenever anyone gets close to him.

When a guy is being paid that much, professionalism should still be expected. He is a pro isn't he? Therefore, he should be raked over the coals for such an idiotic statement. Boo hoo, his feelings were hurt. 'F' him.

b

youtalkfunny
01-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Yeah, I'm sure Holmgren had somebody upstairs checking the Jets' boxscore every few minutes; there's no doubt that was his primary concern that day.

The Dude
01-04-2005, 05:19 AM
After watching the press conference, I'm willing to forgive the guy for his comment and move on. He seemed legitimately contrite and well-meaning when he apologized. Like stabn said, it's not like he's had a history of this kind of thing.

Now, there may be something to be said about how hard he runs on a regular basis. He's always run extremely hard in the red zone - it's amazing how that guy just smells the endzone. I've always kind of wondered what would happen if he ran with that kind of fervor every play.

jakethebake
01-04-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After watching the press conference, I'm willing to forgive the guy for his comment and move on. He seemed legitimately contrite and well-meaning when he apologized. Like stabn said, it's not like he's had a history of this kind of thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmmmmmm.... Did you really think so? Notice the way he worded his apology? He specifically didn't apologize to Holmgren.

ThaSaltCracka
01-04-2005, 11:47 AM
he said he would talk to him though. I don't think Holmgren is concerned, which is key.

Jman28
01-04-2005, 12:07 PM
When players get interviewed directly after a game, you can't hold them entirely accountable for what they say. I'm sure he felt betrayed but didn't have any time to cool down and consider the logic of the situation.

I actually have a friend who went to high school with Alexander and says he's a great guy, and I believe him.

Playing an NFL game is a huge effort. I think people don't realize that players aren't in there normal mindset near gametime.

Drac
01-04-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Didn't he fumble on the 1-yard line against the Jets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope he's reminded about this on a daily basis. Alexander is looking to get paid as a FA and only cares about himself. He falls down way too much.

bernie
01-04-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like stabn said, it's not like he's had a history of this kind of thing

[/ QUOTE ]

They had a good article in the PI about a month ago how he has been overcoming his selfishness on the field stemming way back to his college days. Looks like he has a ways to go. He just doesn't have a history of spewing it in a press conference after one of the 'teams' biggest wins. A win that wasn't a 'lock' as he mentioned in his other idiotic statement.

As a professional, and paid as such, he should know which is the bigger story. As a professional, he should've kept his yap shut. It's not like he's a rookie here. I could give a little more if he was. He should be called out for saying that.

His first statement was him, the 2nd statement was likely his PR persons words.

b

b

adios
01-04-2005, 07:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Holmgren's ego is way in the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've sort of enjoyed seeing Holmgren grovle for his job and eat a little humble pie that last 2 years. I have good memories of Holmgren from Green Bay but I think his ego did get out of control after the Packers won the Super Bowl.

bernie
01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
I really liked the idea when he first came here. I was all for him. Seeing how he ran things changed me. He absolutely sucked as a GM. Singlehandedly screwed up the defense in personell moves, or lack thereof.

Lately, I've enjoyed watching his fat head turn red on the sidelines.

b

Demana
01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he had a history of this kind of behavior that would be different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Driving home from the Muck on Sunday morning, Mike & Mike on ESPN radio talked about how Shaun always seemed to talk about these things whenever he was on their show. How he has always felt like he doesn't get the respect he deserves because he is up in Seattle.

To me, that constitutes a history of things like this and is the reason I don't expect him back in Seattle. Let's just hope he pulls his head out of his butt and plays hard this weekend so the Hawks have a chance to win.

stabn
01-04-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

To me, that constitutes a history of things like this and is the reason I don't expect him back in Seattle. Let's just hope he pulls his head out of his butt and plays hard this weekend so the Hawks have a chance to win.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've never listend to the Mike and Mike show, I generally switch back to FM when any ESPN content is on KJR. I hadn't heard of a history of this behavior, and he always seemed like a nice guy on the "Shaun Alexander show" last season. If he does have a history of whining that gives me a slightly different view. It depends a lot on whether or not what Mike & Mike said was true, or if they were just jumping on the bandwagon.

Demana
01-04-2005, 08:48 PM
What they talked about his attitude on previous visits and how his "stabbed in the back" comments fit into other things he has said.

And while they did criticize him for his comments, they did not do so in a way as to be jumping on the bandwagon. They were simply pointing out how it was not a good thing to do after his team had just won the NFC West title.

stabn
01-04-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What they talked about his attitude on previous visits and how his "stabbed in the back" comments fit into other things he has said.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's too bad then, i always thought he was a classier guy.

[ QUOTE ]

And while they did criticize him for his comments, they did not do so in a way as to be jumping on the bandwagon. They were simply pointing out how it was not a good thing to do after his team had just won the NFC West title.

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely agree it wasn't a good thing to do. I think many sports players have been forgiven for doing worse things though.

bernie
01-05-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think many sports players have been forgiven for doing worse things though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think many were forgiven much too easily for worse things.

b

stabn
01-05-2005, 03:19 AM
I'll let you have the last on topic comment in this argument bernie /images/graemlins/smile.gif.