PDA

View Full Version : Proposal: Rename the probability forum as 'Statistics'

BlueBear
01-03-2005, 09:33 AM
I feel that the term 'statistics' is a far wide ranging term and more descriptive term that perfectly describes the nature of many questions that are asked in this forum. 'Probability' is just a subset of 'statistics'.

What do you think?

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 09:45 AM
Absolutely not.

Prob is not a subset of stats. They are two different, but inter-related, branches of mathematics. Both types of questions are posted here.

However, most questions posted here are more accurately described as questions about probability. What are the odds that.... What are the chances that my opponent.... etc, etc.

gm

BruceZ
01-03-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel that the term 'statistics' is a far wide ranging term and more descriptive term that perfectly describes the nature of many questions that are asked in this forum. 'Probability' is just a subset of 'statistics'.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probability theory and statistics are actually opposites. In statistics, we are given a set of observed outcomes from which we attempt to estimate a probability distribution function. In probability theory, we are given the probability distribution, and we are to compute the probability of specific outcomes.

David04
01-03-2005, 02:18 PM
How about "Probability and Statistics"?

blank frank
01-03-2005, 10:27 PM
I'm not usually one to repeat what has already been posted, but I must agree that probability is NOT a subset of statistics. I see them as two sides of the same coin. I could see using both in the title of this forum, but it seems most of the questions here are probability ones anyway. The only real statistics in poker is in terms of player performance.