PDA

View Full Version : HoH or Sklansky? Need help

ed8383
01-03-2005, 06:12 AM
Just a simple question for those that have read Harrington's book and Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky. Does Harrington's book cover the fundamental tournament concepts such as the Gap theory and others that Sklanky's book explains? Im worried that if I buy HoH all the fundamental tournament concepts are left out as they expect me to know them already (those concepts are my main reason for buying).

I only play low buyin NLHE tournaments and im looking to buy my first book on tournaments. I can't decide between these two books. I want to know if HoH will give me all those fundamental tournament concepts, and give me a solid tournament foundation as Sklanky's book is known for.

Eclypse
01-03-2005, 02:00 PM
You really need to buy BOTH books. They both have invaluable information in them and one compliments the other. However, if you can only pick one for right now, I would suggest HoH because it specifically covers NLHE which is what you play. But, get the Sklansky book when you can.

ed8383
01-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I will buy the other one later since they are must haves. Right now though I can only buy one.

You didn't answer the question, does HoH cover the Gap theory and the other fundamental tournament concepts that Sklankys book covers?

Stew
01-03-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I will buy the other one later since they are must haves. Right now though I can only buy one.

You didn't answer the question, does HoH cover the Gap theory and the other fundamental tournament concepts that Sklankys book covers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and No. The best way I can explain it is that Harrington's book uses actual hands to illustrate the fundmamental's covered in Sklansky's book. However, he doesn't state, "Hey fold here, this is a clear example of "The Gap Concept". If you haven't read Sklansky's book you wouldn't know that that a fold is in order basically due to the Gap Concept.

If you can only get one, I'd probably recommend Harrington's book as it is that good. However, I think a player wouldn't get more out of Harrington's book if they had read TPFAP first.

niin
01-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Harrington's book talks more about application of the theories/ideas in TPFAP (and other books). He goes over things briefly, then goes directly into example hands in detail.

If you didn't already understand the Gap Concept, some of the things he talks about might not make as much sense.

eh923
01-04-2005, 12:55 AM
My take on TPFAP is different from yours. It isn't a book that teaches novice players how to play tourneys stage by stage. It's a book of adjustments for good cash players who want to also play tournaments.

Buy HoH, and in your spare time, go to a bookstore and thoroughly browse TPFAP. If you like it, buy it later.

TakeMeToTheRiver
01-04-2005, 10:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
However, he doesn't state, "Hey fold here, this is a clear example of "The Gap Concept". If you haven't read Sklansky's book you wouldn't know that that a fold is in order basically due to the Gap Concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually. Harrington says exactly that. He has a section entitled "The Gap Concept and the Sandwich Effect" and the following example gives a specific example of where the Gap Concept applies.

Stew
01-04-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
However, he doesn't state, "Hey fold here, this is a clear example of "The Gap Concept". If you haven't read Sklansky's book you wouldn't know that that a fold is in order basically due to the Gap Concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually. Harrington says exactly that. He has a section entitled "The Gap Concept and the Sandwich Effect" and the following example gives a specific example of where the Gap Concept applies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read the book three times and I can only recall One time where he states exactly that, but I could be wrong, the book is almost 400 pages btw.

SossMan
01-04-2005, 08:54 PM
If all you play is NLHE tourneys, then HoH is all you need. IMO, it is much, much better than TPFAP.

HoH is the best book out there right now.

ed8383
01-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Thank you guys for your help. I have read lots of reviews, posts and more but I cannot decide which one to buy. I only play NLHE tournaments and my main goal is to make it in the money which is where I struggle. I play tight, get close but always finish out of the money most of the time by not many places. I feel like im the best player at the table and it is frustrating to finish out of the money so many times and so close to it (and seeing all the bad players that make it there). I know from what I have read that Sklankys book is all about making it in the money in tournaments, he even says that is the purpose and should be the main goal.

Knowing the above im having a hard time deciding since after all HOH is a nolimit tournament book which is the only type of tournaments I play, but Sklankys book is the known guide for learning how to place in the money in tournaments (which is my goal).

Having read that, what do you guys who have read both suggest I buy, knowing my only focus is placing in the money? your advice is appreciated. Im having a difficult time deciding.