PDA

View Full Version : Sklansky's system

mart_ph
01-03-2005, 06:11 AM
First of all, sorry if this has been posted before, but a search returned so many postings (due to the terms used probably!) I thought I'd start a new thread.

I'm currently reading Sklansky's Tournament Poker for Advanced Players and wondered if anyone had applied the System or Improved system to SNG's?

I have been using the Party$10 strategy, and they do appear similar in essence, but i was really wondering if anyone had applied the 'key number' principle outlined in the book.

If not, why not, etc, etc?

Regards (and a happy new year!),
Mart

lacky
01-03-2005, 06:32 AM
I played a few $11's with it just for kicks when I read it. Basically It might be ok for a person that has no idea how to play, but a good player should always do better outplaying his opponents. The system was designed for major tourniments where your fold equity is huge compared to sng's. I am far more likely to fold QQ or JJ to an all in at the wsop than at a $109 sng when I have 6 going. I don't really care about that one game much and will take a chance every time if I think I'm ahead. Without the fold equity the system doesn't do as well.

Steve

mart_ph
01-03-2005, 06:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Without the fold equity the system doesn't do as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very obvious point that I had completely overlooked!

I suppose online the only place to use successfully would be a multitable tourney at say the 100/200 levels upwards?

CardSharpCook
01-03-2005, 07:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I suppose online the only place to use successfully would be a multitable tourney at say the 100/200 levels upwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that would be the time where you could employ "the system", but I still believe, as Lacky does, that a skilled player should be able to do better without that system.

skipperbob
01-03-2005, 09:42 AM
I played 50 $20 SNG's at PP using "system"; sometimes very hard to adhere to completely;....small winner

binions
01-03-2005, 10:16 AM
For example, take a look at these rankings of hands heads up all-in versus random hands, and hands that might call.

http://rwa.homelinux.net/poker/hand-rankings.html

You'll notice that as you move down the scale, Sklansky has you playing different hands than this scale might suggest.

Absolution
01-03-2005, 12:09 PM
That's a nice summary of hands. It would be a good read for anybody who likes to overvalue hands like AJo or KQs and undervalue medium poket pairs.

mart_ph
01-03-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For example, take a look at these rankings of hands heads up all-in versus random hands, and hands that might call.

http://rwa.homelinux.net/poker/hand-rankings.html

You'll notice that as you move down the scale, Sklansky has you playing different hands than this scale might suggest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent post. Thanks.