PDA

View Full Version : out of position, HU, missed the flop

kurosh
01-03-2005, 05:21 AM
In general, what do you do when you're out of position, heads up and have missed the flop with a pretty strong PF hand?
IE, you raise in EP, MP, or the blinds with AQ. Two callers. Flop is rag rag rag or rag rag K, rainbow. What do you do with each? Is it dependent on your opponents? What stats should I be looking at? Generally, I just bet out. When they call and the turn is a blank, I'm lost. I either check and they bet then I fold or I bet and they raise and I fold.

Nick C
01-03-2005, 05:44 PM
On the rag rag rag flop, I generally bet again on the turn and continue representing an overpair against just one or two opponents. I take the pot a decent amount of the time, doing this. (Probably what my opponents are folding, usually, are their own overcards.)

On the king, rag, rag flop, if I get called on the flop in two places and all I have is AQ, I'm inclined to check-fold. There's only one overcard my opponents could have been calling with, so I'm unlikely to be best. I do sometimes take the pot when I'm betting the turn in this spot with something like TT or JJ, but it seems like I either get raised or called down much more often (and if I get called down and I have AQ instead of JJ or TT, I'm a lot more likely to lose).

Heads-up, I'm more inclined to try betting again, but against a tight opponent I might check-fold still. I think the best play does depend quite a bit on what your opponent is like and what cards he's likely to have.