PDA

View Full Version : New guy with some questions

pocketcrabs3
01-03-2005, 04:21 AM
Been playin poker for about 6 or 7 months or so and have been lurking on here for about a month and finally decided to post. I just had a few questions about a hand I played in a multi today. Basically, just want to know if there was another way to play this hand where I wouldn't have went broke. There were about twenty left to the money so I Probably could have folded and easily moneyed so thats probably the biggest mistake here, but anyways heres the hand and thanks to all.
The raiser had been open raising quite a few hands, about 4 out of the last 6. The caller on the button was a maniac that had been calling huge all in reraises with a7o and such and had just been hot so far. The blinds were 200/400. I had about 9000 and the two others had about 20000. The raiser opened for 1400.

PokerStars (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB posts a blind of 200.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB (poster) folds, Hero calls.

Flop: 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, Button calls.

Turn: T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets 2380 (All-In)</font>, Button calls.

River: T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot:

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9c 9h (two pair, tens and nines).
Button has 6h 6d (full house, sixes full of tens).
Outcome: Button wins . </font>

Shilly
01-03-2005, 06:38 AM
I don't know if the converter's messed up or something, but there are no bet amounts in your hand history.

Although I can't see these amounts, I would recommend putting in a big re-raise preflop. With the blinds, the raise, and the button's call there is plenty of money in the pot for you to pick up right now if you think you have the best hand. It's likely that you have the raiser beaten, although it may not be by much (i.e., against two overcards) and the your read on the button and his flat call seem pretty weak. Your raise here would depend on how accurate you think your reads are, and if you want to jeopardize a comfortable chip position due to a poor read or being sucked out on. I would most likely push, to discourage something like AT or KQ from calling here. There is a total of 3,400 in the pot right now, a considerable overlay even if you get called in a coinflip scenario.

After this hand flops, I think it's going to be pretty hard to get away from. I like your flop play in this spot, but it seems like it's curtains for you after he calls your raise (although you might catch him with something like A6, per your read). After the flop, you have such a strong hand that you're going to lose all of your chips no matter how it's played on the turn and river, because the pot is so large.

zaxx19
01-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Yeah IF you are going to play this hand after the raise(g-d knows the raise amount here) you need to reraise bc this is a vulnerable hand post flop. Depending on the raise amount I might muck it(insert weak tight comments here) you are probably 50-50 with a raiser unless it is a steal(didt look like one did it??) and is just too tricky to play post flop. Not a bad hand to move in with preflop though if you think you are gettin significant folding equity...of course the villain is pretty well stacked so thats a judgement issue based on your image and his calls IMHO.

Jim T
01-03-2005, 01:31 PM
With the pre-flop raise to 1400, I would usually either push or fold there.

I definitely push on the flop and go broke.

pocketcrabs3
01-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks. A raise sounds like a good play here, put the raiser on two weak overs around qj or so, just was too weak tight to put a raise in before the flop with nines. Also, the button caller would never ever fold once he had entered a pot which makes me think I could have easily just folded and been done with this hand. How much of a raise would be sufficient and allow me to get off of this hand if I am reraised?

Chuckster
01-03-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't mind just calling the raise to see what the flop gives you. If you miss it completely, you can fold and your still in good shape. It all depends on the situation though. With the way you described the 2 guys that are invovled with you in this hand, I would likely have gone All-In pre-flop and put the pressure on them. Yes, they have huge stacks and that can seem intimidating with 99....but they are still risking almost 1/2 there chips...so they can only call with a monster.

Since you just called the pre-flop raise, the only thing I would have done different is raise All-In on the flop. He might have called anyways, but atleast you might be able to win the pot right there if he folds. Just raising is a mistake because he might see it as weak and call you with AK or AQ and maybe outdraw you (or A-10 as I suspect). It is the wrong call for him, but these big stacks like to gamble sometimes.

pocketcrabs3
01-03-2005, 04:57 PM
Kinda wanted to see the flop at the time and see if i could dodge the overs as I really didnt want to go all in with a possible coin flip here. My thought process was see the flop and see what the raiser does and if I think he missed than push. Is that a logical decison?