PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about rebuy + add-on, please.

saxhoe
01-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Or if someone has a link to a good thread about it.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

saxhoe
01-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Do most of u do it or noone? How much do u gain on a rebuy? Is it depending on how good u are?

wray
01-03-2005, 08:09 AM
I play in a tournament at the Horseshoe once or twice a week that's like this.

There's a 65 dollar entry that gets you 800 in chips. At any time that you're at 800 or below you can get a 40 dollar rebuy for 800 more in chips. If you go broke you can give up 80$ for 1600 in chips. At the end of the first break (about an hour) you can do a single add on for 40 and get 800 more or you can even give 80$ for 1600 more in chips.

There are so many people that invest several hundred dollars before it's all over. I don't really understand their thinking. I only invest the initial 65 and every once in a while I'll either do ONE add-on or ONE rebuy. That way I have 105 invested MAX. First place is almost always over 5000. I just play pretty tight and then try to steal some blinds. There are so many people that play extremely loose in the first hour trying to accumulate all the chips quick. The thing is IF they double up several times they're usually on such a rush they never tighten up. Then they finally start to lose those coin flips and all the sudden they're out and have spent several hundred.

The bottom line is I would rather play w/o any add ons or rebuys. But if I do play em I look at (like this one) it like I'm gettinghuge odds. I'd honestly say the average person has 200 invested in this tourney. I'm getting some pretty good odds now, I think.

CUonCRUISE
01-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Play solid during rebuy period and dont be afraid to take some chances. Always rebuy when you bust out and addon unless you have a massive ammount of chips. Check out "Poker Tournament Strategies" by Suzuki.

schwza
01-03-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play solid during rebuy period and dont be afraid to take some chances. Always rebuy when you bust out and addon unless you have a massive ammount of chips. Check out "Poker Tournament Strategies" by Suzuki.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't play *too* solid. if somebody goes all-in for a double buy-in and it's folded to me in the cutoff with AKo, i'd definitely call, even though it's sort of a marginal play. if i had seen one super overbet push from the pusher, even if it hadn't been called, i'd call with AQ.

i'd also limp in on the button with a crappy hand like 86o just because people are maniacs and if i flop two pair i'm probably doubling up.

never bluff pre-flop during the rebuy, bluff post-flop more rarely than after the rebuy. don't go into normal-tournament-mode immediately after the rebuy period ends. give it a little time and wait for the maniacs to bust (or at least give the rebuy-period maniacs a chance to let you know if they're still playing like maniacs).

rebuys are great b/c at most sites you only pay rake on the initial buy-in, not the rebuys.

Sam T.
01-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Agreed. You will see some absolutely lunatic plays during the rebuy period. Some is deliberate, but most is not. (I've seen people push with 72o to make sure they got plenty of business when they pushed AA. Also, I've heard that teecoy will dump chips early on so that there are more at his table for him to win back later.) Pay attention to the table, figure out who the lunatics are (pushing any ace, any pocket pair), and play your strong hands as if the dealer goofed and gave you all four aces.

So AK is an easy all-in pre-flop. And if there are two pushes ahead of me and I've got TT, you bet I'm coming along. I'm getting 2:1 odds against overcards, and I may well be up against 66 and 22.