PDA

View Full Version : Need help late in tournys

MataWispar
01-03-2005, 02:12 AM
I played in todays 250k at Party finishing in the 70's somewhere and it promted me to make my first meaningfull post here. I have been playing for a year now, having taken my lumps, but also had some nice finishes. I have read books, read nearly every post in the mtt forum and spent countless hours playing in smaller buy in tournys applying the concepts I have learned.
The problem I costantly find myself having is near the bubble and after we are all in the money. I have a hard time wanting to risk my stack stealing with weak hands, even if it's folded to me in late position. I always want to "wait for aa, kk, ak" and let others drop out so I can move up.

This is how i approached today's tourny. I had about 10k in chips (ave about 12k I think) after money hit, and folded almost everything untill I was almost blinded out. The problem and question I face myself with, is this correct?
I did earn more money by playing super tight, but I didn't feel like I gave myself the best opportunity to make the final table.

I realize this is all fairly vauge and lacks specifics, but I would really appreciate some feedback here, as this isn't the first time I've stayed up too late thinking.

Thanks ahead of time to those of you who reply.

mpb

Lloyd
01-03-2005, 02:23 AM
While there are lots of factors to consider when deciding whether or not to push (like stack sizes, looseness of opponents, table image, etc.), I would suggest answering a few questions first:

1) What hands would you go all-in with if your stack was 5BBs from early position? middle position? late position?

2) How about 10 BBs from early position? middle position? late position?

TStoneMBD
01-03-2005, 02:59 AM
you should always try to make the final table as that is where the money is and should prove +EV in the long run. if you feel that jumping up in the money and winning 70th place cash is important to you, then i would predict that you are playing too high for your bankroll. if you were in a $1 MTT and the difference between 50th place and 70th place is $10, you would probably play much better.

MataWispar
01-03-2005, 03:11 AM
First off, let me say I'm only making a move if nobody has entered the pot yet, which means I'm folding hands like aq aj 88 99 1010 in late position if someone has already made a move. Should I be folding these hands even if I have them covered? as far as me open raising, with 10 bb in ep, i'm pushing only aa,kk, ak suited, maybee, ok, usually, but not always qq and ako. middle i'd go all of the above plus aq ajs jj 1010, maybe 99 88 a10s, late a wide range depending on the situation.
I guess 5bb is where I have a harder time. should i be pushing any 2 cards if its folded to me in lp? any pair or ace early? I often find myself waiting too long and pushing with 56s utg with 2bb

MataWispar
01-03-2005, 03:28 AM
Point taken, I did win my buy in at a sng, and the xtra 300 i made by being so passive was nice. I'm not totally unhappy with my results. However reaching the final table was my goal, if I won nothing, I was only out ~30 bucks. The reason why i made this post is because I have had success playing this way in the past, but wondered if it was the correct approach. I very recently worked my way up the "steps" and took 2nd at step 5 by playing this way which really sold me on super tight play. I know a two table sng is different than even a 10 table mtt, let alone being involved in the final 100 of a 1300+ mtt. I feel I have become a better than average tourny player, but really think my late play is flat out weak....
maybe i'm answering my own question.

kuro
01-03-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
First off, let me say I'm only making a move if nobody has entered the pot yet, which means I'm folding hands like aq aj 88 99 1010 in late position if someone has already made a move.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't just look at your cards and your position and then lay them down to a raise at this stage in the game. You have to evaluate the raiser's stack size, style of play, folding equity, how you've seen him play big starting hands, who is left to act, etc. and then make a decision about how to best play your cards. Certainly sometimes you'll evaluate everything and still lay those cards down, but other times you'll push, do a stop-n-go, call an all-in, etc.

JohnG
01-03-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize this is all fairly vauge and lacks specifics, but I would really appreciate some feedback here, as this isn't the first time I've stayed up too late thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the table is playing tight on the bubble, tend to steal as often as possible, especially against the smaller stacks. If the table is gambling, play tighter as you have been. Your own play on the bubble so far should illustrate how profitable it is for those that get aggressive at this point in the tourney. If you play without fear of busting at bubble time, when everyone else has tightened up, you will make more money in the long run given the typical top heavy payouts. Bubble is prime time for accumulating chips for the final table.