PDA

View Full Version : Fly tying question

Zeno
01-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Over Christmas, my good old dad was checking out Northwest fly tying magazine and hashing out an article about some whacko fly-tying-nut-job that had a new steelhead pattern for leeches. Called it a MOAL. Mother-of-all-Leeches. My dad, correctly, immediately saw that this same fly would be good for salmon, with a few modifications. It uses two hooks and a bunch of rabbit stuff etc but the hooks are connected with 'spectra'. Since my dad lives in the dark ages and cares not a wit what the rest of this cesspool of a civilization is doing, he is a bit at a loss about this spectra thing. What is it? - A new type of monofilament, choking wire, death grip boron/graphite/other fiber, super dooper strong spider wire new –fangled-thing-a-ma-bob or what the hell is all this new stuff.

Any details or information will be appreciated. I’ll post a fishing story in ‘payment’.

Smart-ass retorts by non-fly fishers will be politely ignored.

-Zeno

Ed I
01-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Spectra is the registered trademark of Honeywell International for a special formulation of the same space-age material that bullet-proof vests and other protective gear is made from. Spectra is tiny filaments of super strong material that when braided together produce extreamly strong, thin line that is perfect for some fishing applications.

I don't know anything first hand. It's also used with kites.

ThaSaltCracka
01-03-2005, 02:43 AM
I have never fly fished, how much fun is it, and is it easy to learn?

Zeno
01-03-2005, 09:50 AM
^bump

Leo99
01-03-2005, 10:51 PM
Spectra is the new "braid" fishing line. It is much thinner than mono and has no stretch. Here is BassProShops version: Magibraid (http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=2383&hvarDept=151&hvarEv ent=&hvarClassCode=5&hvarSubCode=1&hvarTarget=brow se)

Here is another version: P-Line (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jhtml?id=0023656&navAction=push&navCount=1&in dexId=cat600395&parentId=cat600395&parentType=inde x&rid=&cmCat=MainCatcat20166)

I think SpiderWire is also Spectra but not sure.

The post about the fibers is correct. Spectra is the material braided to make the fishing line. I'd use 30-50 # test, maybe stronger.

Ray Zee
01-03-2005, 11:07 PM
lots of places dont allow more than one hook on a line.

spectra is just braided line. strong, thin, but line. i dont use the stuff either.

put two things of wrap that look like eggs on the hook for salmon and steelhead.

then go fishing.

wacki
01-03-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think SpiderWire is also Spectra but not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. And Spiderwire is the strongest, thinnest, most sensitive fishing line in the world. I haven't found a reason not to use it. A 30-pound test SpiderWire is the equivalent diameter of 6-pound mono, and a 50 pound spider is the same diameter as a 10 pound mono. It's also great for bulletproof vests.

wacki
01-03-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have never fly fished, how much fun is it, and is it easy to learn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many consider it the most rewarding fishing experience out there. I've never really done it, but I've heard it's a lot of fun. I've heard it's easy to pick up but difficult to master.

Leo99
01-03-2005, 11:36 PM
I still haven't used braid. I'm still using 15 pound Ande's pink for dem stripahs. I hear PowerPro is better than SpiderWire so I might give that a go.

wacki
01-03-2005, 11:50 PM
I just checked it out, it does look like it's better for fly fishing.

http://www.powerpro.com/

Zeno
01-03-2005, 11:51 PM
Thank you Leo99 for the links. This was part of the info I needed.

-Zeno

Zeno
01-04-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
lots of places dont allow more than one hook on a line.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is to connect two hooks together in short tandem to promote more action and to lengthen out the fly. The barb portion of the front hook is cut off. Thus you need very strong thin line to do the short connect between the two hooks. For fishing the Rogue River using fresh water shrimp and anchovy patterns etc this would work very well; bigger flys with more flashy action.

[ QUOTE ]
put two things of wrap that look like eggs on the hook for salmon and steelhead.

then go fishing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some in my fly box that my brother gave me. I have never used them.

You are slipping Mr. Zee. What next - bobbers? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

My dad is starting to use a fly called 'Spankers'. Bright green fly with a spikey body. Used in Alaska a lot I hear. We used them for Salmon.

We got skunked, by the way, over Christmas. Three days and no fish. Of course there were hardly any fish in the river and it was too bright and clear for good salmon fishing with flys. But there are other more important things about fishing with my dad than just catching fish.

-Zeno

Zeno
01-04-2005, 12:28 AM
Fly fishing is very enjoyable. You are always doing something and the action and challenge is great. It is difficult to master completely, and not just the rod and reel part and fly tying etc, but all the little extra things you also need to know. I am only good at some parts of the whole scheme. My Dad is a fanatic. In fact, a real master at this art. Before my dad had a heart attack, a very rich outfit wanted him to guide but he turned them down. His reasons are his own so don't ask.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
01-04-2005, 01:06 AM
i know what it does. but some states do not allow two hooks. whether you cut off a barb or not. besides a long shank hook will be big enough and someone can actually cast it.
winter fishing involves going deep if you want to catch more than an occasional fish. big bushy flies dont sink much without alot of weight. and alot of weight makes for sore ears from getting hit by the fly in the back of your head.
its more fun for me anyway to fish with smaller flies that are sparsly dressed and lightly weighted. i can cast them on light rods and far out. rather than using shooting heads which make you work.

Zeno
01-04-2005, 01:39 AM
i know all that ray.

But, i'll be tactful and admit that you know more than I about fly fishing. Even though you don't /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Someday I'll be in Montana (in fact my dad and mom may go in June this year to Big Sandy to visit my elder brother and I may join up with them) - And you can try to get even.

I'll be armed so be careful. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope we can met someday.

-Zeno

Ed I
01-04-2005, 02:10 AM
Flex hooks may work for you, uses only one hook but achieves the same action. www.thebookmailer.com. (http://www.thebookmailer.com.) Check fly tying materials.

andyfox
01-04-2005, 02:46 AM
I don't tie my fly. I zip it. Or unzip it, as warranted.

From one smart-ass to another. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bet you can't ignore me. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Zeno
01-04-2005, 03:09 AM
I checked out the web site and the flex hooks look interesting and will probably work well. I'll send some to my dad. Thank You.

-Zeno

Zeno
01-04-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From one smart-ass to another.
/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Birds of a feather.... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

-Zeno