PDA

View Full Version : What book first

Mobed
01-03-2005, 12:56 AM
I just picked up Internet Texas hold'em and Harrington on hold'em. I'm fairly new to all of this but I have been able to hold my on so far. I know I need to learn allot still but I do have a solid understanding of the game. My question is what book would be the better first read? I have never read any other poker book, keep that in mind. I like SnG's/MTT allot more then ring games. Because of that I picked up HoH even though I know it's slightly more advanced then the typical beginners book. Would ITH give me enough of a base to grasp HOH? I guess thats two questions.

Stew
01-03-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just picked up Internet Texas hold'em and Harrington on hold'em. I'm fairly new to all of this but I have been able to hold my on so far. I know I need to learn allot still but I do have a solid understanding of the game. My question is what book would be the better first read? I have never read any other poker book, keep that in mind. I like SnG's/MTT allot more then ring games. Because of that I picked up HoH even though I know it's slightly more advanced then the typical beginners book. Would ITH give me enough of a base to grasp HOH? I guess thats two questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

These two books are completely different animals, as is the nature of the games they cover. HOH covers NL tournament situations, while ITH covers Limit Ring Games. If you are looking for a base book to read prior to HOH, I'd recommend McEvoy/Daugherty's New PLayer Series, Winning No Limit Hold 'Em. I also think that you should read Tournament Poker for Advanced Players prior to Harrington's book, but it's not absolutely necessary.

I think you have the basics of NL tournament play down based on your playing history, so you could probably dive straight into HOH without reading ITH. ITH is really a book that covers limit ring games and doesn't even touch on NL at all.