PDA

View Full Version : Calldown Mode: Good or Bad?

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 12:50 AM
Villain was somewhat loose (VPIP=30), somewhat aggressive (avg postflop aggr = 2). I thought my hand was so easily dominated that calling down was correct. Thoughts? Other lines? I didn't feel safe not seeing a showdown here -- is that being too scared??

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 (poster) checks, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

W. Deranged
01-03-2005, 01:07 AM
I think that once the head gets to heads up your line is fine. The other option might be to lead out on the river. I think on average you are going to be ahead here more than half the time, because the second 9 puts you back ahead of A5 and A2. So I think it would be bad to let this get checked through on the river. If you get raised, you actually still may be ahead, considering you opponent seems on the aggressive side. From MP, your opponent more likely would have raised AK, AQ, so the only hands I would really be afraid of might be AJ, A9, 22.

My other question here would be pre-flop. Does everyone here limp in early position behind one limper with A10o? I always feel a little bad about that. My rule has been to throw away A10 in early position and raise AJ... thoughts?

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 01:20 AM
Throwing away AT is probably fine. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. At a typical loose 3/6 table, I think you can play it, and I was in the mood.

I will occasionaly raise with AJo, but I think I like limping with it better. Not sure about this though, and would like to hear other thoughts as well...

pokerkai
01-03-2005, 01:52 AM
I muck it preflop.
I lead on the turn, call a raise if raised and checkcall the river, or lead the river if he just calls the turn.

and where did the PFR on the button go???

Evan
01-03-2005, 01:54 AM
The diappearance of the button concerns me nearly as much as your apparent cloning on the river. I can see why you were uncomfortable here.

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I muck it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fine.
[ QUOTE ]
I lead on the turn, call a raise if raised and checkcall the river, or lead the river if he just calls the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this. I only lead here if I can fold to a raise, which I can't. But this line has to be -EV in the long run, I think. The times you are getting raised on the turn you are up against a better hand 70-80% of the time I'd say. No?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question. I just put the hand into the converter.

BottlesOf
01-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Raise AJ, muck AT.

There are occasionally exceptions. I don't think I'd ever limp ATo there.

pokerkai
01-03-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I muck it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's fine.
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this. I only lead here if I can fold to a raise, which I can't. But this line has to be -EV in the long run, I think. The times you are getting raised on the turn you are up against a better hand 70-80% of the time I'd say. No?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good question. I just put the hand into the converter.

[/ QUOTE ]

70-80% might be a bit high i think. I honestly dont feel you have to worry about a better ace. A raise on the turn is more likely someone trying to buy a cheap showdown or a picked up flush draw. Obviously a read would help me decide whether to fold to the turn raise, but my default would be to call down from that point on. Ill concede it might not be the best line, but I dont like going passive after only a flop raise.

Note to self: perhaps your getting too laggy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

brandon
01-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Folding preflop is the right move. If it was suited, different story.

You must play this hand aggressively. A lag with posistion, can be holding any number hands. You beat a lot of them.

I would of 3 bet the flop

Bet the turn, call a raise.

Check call the river.

My guess is that the villan's middle pair turned into trips.

Malcom Reynolds
01-03-2005, 03:07 AM
Muck ATo preflop.

If you must play it, raise. But probably only if you could isolate the limper and the limper is really weak.

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Muck ATo preflop.

If you must play it, raise. But probably only if you could isolate the limper and the limper is really weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. This was already a borderline hand for me, but I'll change it to a hard and fast fold on your and JBB's advice. In fact, this will be my new location....

gm

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 03:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would of 3 bet the flop

Bet the turn, call a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like this at all. His postflop aggression is 2, which is only slightly aggressive. There is only a small chance he raises here on a bluff, and there are no draws in sight that he could be pumping. If I do 3-bet the flop, there is very little chance this guy is raising the turn with anything I beat. Calling a turn raise and a river bet is essentially giving away 2 BB, IMO.

gm

River2Pair
01-03-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The diappearance of the button concerns me nearly as much as your apparent cloning on the river. I can see why you were uncomfortable here.

[/ QUOTE ]

my guess is that button had about $5 in front of him before the hand was dealt, and his raise put him all-in. that confuses the computer, as it thinks that if a player gets that low, they should rebuy or quit.

Kenrick
01-03-2005, 06:06 AM
Your hand is crap. Even after calling the flop, you are given two chances to fold either the flop or the turn. I'd pick one or the other. If you think A10o UTG+2 is a good hand, I've got a Q10s to sell you.

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your hand is crap. Even after calling the flop, you are given two chances to fold either the flop or the turn. I'd pick one or the other. If you think A10o UTG+2 is a good hand, I've got a Q10s to sell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Crap" is way too strong. I have top pair decent kicker. To say I should have mucked pre-flop is fine, and probably good advice. However, the call is not terrible -- it is borderline.

On the other hand, given my preflop call, your advice to fold on the turn or river HU against a LAG is clearly incorrect. Nobody else has even suggested that. The decision seems to be between calling down or betting out and calling a raise. Folding this hand HU against a LAG is a clear mistake.

gm

gaming_mouse
01-03-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a Q10s to sell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In loose games SSH recommends limping with hands all the way down to Q9s in EP.

kem
01-03-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've got a Q10s to sell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

In loose games SSH recommends limping with hands all the way down to Q9s in EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check SSH's definition of "tight" and "loose" games, compare to avg saw flop %, and I think you'll find that online 3-6 games are "tight"...

Festis
01-03-2005, 04:10 PM
If I understand correct MP3 post a blind. This means that you should be more villing to raise and drive him out. If raising with AJo is correct in this game then raising with ATo when someone post a blind in middle possition, must be correct to.

Also betting out on the river is most often the correct strategy in a very shorthanded pot when you are not sure about your kicker. This is proberly more true with the 9 pairing becose it will be even harder for them to raise you.