PDA

View Full Version : played with John Juanda...

whiskeytown
01-03-2005, 12:39 AM
yesterday on the Full Tilt celeb. bounty tourney. He was on my table for the first 90 min.

I noticed in the first hr. I don't think I ever saw him call a hand preflop - always raise or fold

more I think about it, I think he might have something - I like to limp in with baby pairs (like 33) to see if I hit the flop, but maybe the biggest hands are best the first hr.

questions, comments?

RB

zaxx19
01-03-2005, 06:02 AM
With the exception of baby pairs...he might be right. Especially if you are only seeing like 18% of flops mostly in decent postion. I mean all we are really discussing is whether to raise with strong suited connectors really bc pairs above 77 should be a raise in postion and two big cards should be in postion and thats all Im really usually playing except maybe A-Xs

So basically Im probably raising half the hands I play anyway, and some people prefer not to play baby pairs from up front..I personally dont like to raise with KQ and wont usually play it in UTG or UTG+1 OR 2...

Lurshy
01-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Did he fold when people came over the top PF or did everyone just let him control the action?

I haven't seen that much of J.J., but Negraneau and others certainly wouldn't need premium hands to raise with PF.

whiskeytown
01-03-2005, 05:36 PM
he played really tight the first hr...but got aggressive enough later on to be in the top 3 for a good chunk of the tourney afterwards...

but he choked near the end...none of the half dozen pros made it to the money that day.

RB

schwza
01-03-2005, 05:46 PM
say utg and utg+1 limp on the first hand of the tournament. folded to you in MP with 77. i think not limping here would be a disaster.

gcoutu
01-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Whiskeytown: tried to speak to you a few times but you never respond. I see you in those a fair amount. Give me a shout next time. I played with JJ for about 30 min. when he was at about 6-9K in chips. He raised big with A3 in EP then called another 700 of an all in and hit an A to suck out. Outside of that he folded a lot.

whiskeytown
01-03-2005, 07:05 PM
I MIGHT have observer chat blocked - plus with such a small chat window, it can go by you quick and not notice

lotsa idiots trying to talk to the pros on the table - I got tired of it after awhile - in fact, if there's any pros on my table (including Moneymaker, Raymer, or Teecoy on Pokerstars) I tend to just turn off observer chat - I don't like reading retards trying to look smart to experts - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

He was in the top 3 for the last few rounds before we got to the bubble table, but he just died fast...was sorta surprised at that. But I wasn't observing his table or what the hands were.

RB

TightInn
01-03-2005, 09:01 PM
Against poorer players I am usually raising or folding anything but drawing hands preflop. This means that I am forced to play very tight, but it also means that I generally hit on the flop as well and it's easy to play. For example, I usually fold AQ in early position (sometimes I'll raise with it if I am really bored or I haven't played in a very long time), but the only hands I limp with are 22-JJ (depending on position & situation ... sometimes I'll raise with low-middle pocket pairs) and suited connectors (which I don't play a whole lot unless I'm up against very passive opponents).

The only problem with this strategy is that you don't get a chance to make money on your AJ, A10, KQ, KJs or other hands if you can outplay your opponents postflop and if your cards go cold it becomes very difficult to accumilate chips and you become relatively predictable. Also, I take the raise or fold deal quite far. If I'm reraised when I raise with AK then I will either reraise or fold (usually fold unless it's from a loose-aggressive).

Shilly
01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
I played against him in at $50+5 SNG, also with Andy Bloch.

He open-pushed for like 1300 with the blinds at like 30/60 in the CO. I call with JJ, and he shows...

73h?

Maybe he wasn't taking it very seriously...

Apathy
01-04-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I played against him in at $50+5 SNG, also with Andy Bloch.

He open-pushed for like 1300 with the blinds at like 30/60 in the CO. I call with JJ, and he shows...

73h?

Maybe he wasn't taking it very seriously...

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you short stacked or something? Unless he open pushed the last five hands in a row this is a pretty weak call.