PDA

View Full Version : When you know he is on a steal?!?

vandalay
01-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Ok... the set up prior to I go into the actual hand.

I have been playing REAL REAL tight, as I had busted a few people early and wanted to survive for a bit in the tourney. Thus, I had been passive when I missed, but aggressive when I hit my hands.

8 or so hands prior, A guy looked me up and called me down with TPWK vs my middle pair.

The villian in this example seemed to be fairley decent
- he was opening for a raise each time he entered the pot.
- about 3 orbits before, he caught runner runner straight on one of his steal attempts to win a pot
- he had stolen at LEAST 5 BB from me, but they were insignificant.

We are now at 100/200, the BB is is offline, so we know he is going to fold.
It is folded to the villian on the button, who raises to 600. I have J7 or so, but I KNOW he is on a steal, and I was going to take the pot away from his steal.

That being the case,
- preflop, raise to 600, I call, BB folds
- 1400 in pot
- flop is J84 giving me top pair, weak kicker.
- I bet out 800, he calls (I figure he is waiting to take the pot away from me if I checked)
- 3000 in pot, turn is a 10 (straight out there), I bet 2000, he calls
- 7000 in pot, turn is another 10. I have 4000 left, he has 3500. I go allin, he calls.

he turns over 10,9 and wins the pot.

Now, I know other people might not play it at all, and I am not even upset as my read was correct!!! Would others have just folded preflop?

-VI

nuclear500
01-02-2005, 11:13 PM
If you felt your hand was best against a steal attempt, you should have bet the pot - I speak this and feel its the right move yet I somehow fail to ever put that in practice heh.

The outcome would have either been the same, or he'd fold and you win a nice pot.

UOPokerPlayer
01-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Re-raise pf. If you think he's on a steal take it away early. You now have to play a hand out of position against a decent opponent with what you believe to be 2 random cards.

vandalay
01-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Well, I agree with the RR preflop, but I also wanted to do a stop and go on him.... I believe it would have worked if he handed had an open ended straight draw. And when I hit top pair on top of it, I felt I was best....

KKsuited
01-03-2005, 12:16 AM
I think this is a case of "I know he's on a steal, but my hand sucks".

You're not to big of a favorite against any 2 random, live cards. You either have to take it before the flop or shut it down after his call on the flop.

You're not much better than a coin flip with your hand versus his, even when you knew he was on a steal.

DonButtons
01-03-2005, 05:10 AM
If you know he's on a steal, just push, why value bet a weak hand.

Then shut him down on the turn, why bet 2000, just push.