PDA

View Full Version : best online poker promotion

11-09-2001, 07:03 PM
Just wondering what the group this is the best (current or past) promotion that has been offered by a new online poker site to lure players from Paradise.

Freeroll tournies?

Deposit bonuses?

redeemable points based on play?

others?

comments appreciated.

Jim

11-09-2001, 07:48 PM
No matter how good the bonuses are, a new site will need to get some software that is as good as or better than Paradise. Look at highlands club for example. 100% deposit bonuses, freerolls, and bad beat jackpots, but where are the players?

Ultimatebet has the next best software after Paradise, and they are growing rapidly. They do offer a high hand jackpot, but also the rake is higher (at low limits because of the 5c for every $1). One of the big things that has caused the growth of this site is the pot limit and no limit games, which have a very good structure with max and min buyins. I think they will grow much further when they start to offer games other than holdem.

Planet is probably the only other site that consistently has games round the clock. They have good promotions, but should probably try a deposit bonus scheme. The software is crap.

11-09-2001, 08:58 PM
I must was half asleep when I posted this... should have read...

Just wondering what the group THINKS is the best (current or past) promotion that has been offered by a new online poker site to lure players from Paradise.

Freeroll tournies?

Deposit bonuses?

redeemable points based on play?

others?

comments appreciated.

Jim

11-09-2001, 09:34 PM
Definitely the $500 bonus at Highlands. Didn't work though.

11-10-2001, 05:30 AM
Why didn't it work??

11-10-2001, 08:04 AM
Customers must commit to playing at least 2500 "raked hands" (or 5x the bonus amount) or else they forfeit not only the bonus but also all the money they deposited and subsequently won (if any). I don't know whether pots which are too small to be raked (e.g., when blinds are stolen) qualify as "raked hands."

Also, their software appears second rate and they usually have 0 to 1 game going from my recent observations.

11-10-2001, 01:07 PM
from what has been posted you can see that success must start with software which is as good or better than paradise

players like to go where the action is...now it is at paradise...to stand a chance any new site would need to get good numbers of players FAST in order to have enough action to hold them and attract others

probably no single idea will pull players fast enough...seems a variety of things will need to be offered to attract different people...and offered all at once, or at a super fast pace

11-10-2001, 01:43 PM
The best site for promotions is Highlands..Period.

You get a 100% signup bonus (yes it does work, and as

long as you win you can cash out before you play 5x the hands

but you will not receive your bonus money..Just your buy-in

+ winnings).

You also get a $5,000 freeroll every month . You

get 1 tourn. chip for every live hand played during month.

They also over numerous bad beat jackpots, the top which is usually over $20,000.(Games are hard to come by on this place)

As far as ultimate bet goes, their high hand promotion isn't bad,

but not as good as it looks since the rake is higher. They

also give some of the money to the free table players, which

I think is unfair since they pay 0 in rake.

One thing I want to point out, is that I don't know if

Mr. Peterson has a vested interest in this place, but

I play there weekly and on paradise daily, and must say

that u.b's software comes no where close to paradises'

in terms of speed. Its mediocre speedwise at best(I'd rank it about equal to planet in speed),but is

nice to look at.

Poker Stars looks like it may be the best, since they

have hinted at using a frequent player point system, along

with a lower rake then the competition.

And Paradise's 10% bonus's are convenient if you have a

paypal/firepay account, but probably not worth it if you use

a credit card and pay 5%.

11-11-2001, 07:38 AM
No vested interest in UB, but i do like the site. The nolimit and pot limit games are very easily beaten. The dealing is very fast, but it does seem to take a while for many players to act. Maybe it just runs fast on my PC because its a PentIV.

11-11-2001, 05:17 PM
One thing I noticed, is that if you have the animation On

the dealer really whips the cards around. But this

is basically an illusion, since it is only your

client programs animation and has nothing to do with

the actual connection.

I think your location is more important than your computer

speed. You might live in an area where you connection is

great, but the other players are not as fortunate.

On my end, there is usually a momentary pause after the player

in front of me acts, before my turn buttons even come up.

(This is using a 1 Gig, cable connection)

So the sites that have the fastest connections for all players

run best.