PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Steps success story

CUonCRUISE
01-02-2005, 07:09 PM
I set out about two weeks ago to build 4 or 5 step 5 freerolls as cheap as possible and see what I could do. I originally started at step 1 but decided it was a waste of time, so I made step 2 my starting point. From my past performance in sng qualifiers I figured I could get the seats at a large discount(maybe $250-$400).Needless to say, that didn't work out so well. I got bounced out early in a step 4 flopping a set of jacks against a set of kings, and got bounced in another with aces. However, I managed 2 freerolls to step 5 for about $1150.

Then I took the plunge New Year's day. The fields (this is 2 table) didn't look that shark infested. I wanted to play them together for less pressure. That's just me.

The play was very tight. I was my normal early tight self and had zero opportunities at the 1st tourney and lost a couple hands at the 2nd. When we were down to 10 players in tourney 1 I was last with about 800. I continued to hang around as others busted out and doubled up once with AK. We were down to 5 and guess who was the shortstack w about 1400 against 3 moderate stacks and 1 bigstack. I kept moving allin and getting folds just to survive. Then the bigstack called my king high w ace rag but I got the lucky 4 flush to double up. This put me right in the game with the other 3 at bubble time and they were playing scared. I stayed aggresive to keep myself from becoming the shorty again. Then picked up AA in the sb with blinds around 250/500. I got a 1300 raise from the bigstack(6000+), moved allin for about 3000 and he called with 33. I was now the chip leader. Then I took over, raising almost every hand and taking down blinds. I then took out the original chip leader first, then the others for the $9000. When we got down to 3 I had about 15000+ and had it almost won, had 18500 when head to head. It was great and I'm starting over now. Tourney 2 didn't go so well, knocked out 14th, but plus $7850 so far. I prefer the 2 tablers but may have to move to single because there is a lot more players there.

Moral of the story is: never give up.

Mike_S
01-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Great story. I have tried to start with step 1 what a pain. I have noticed that in step 5 that the same 3 players are playing 4-5 different tables at the same time(a6052969) (gigabet) are the 2 that I see the most. They claim that they play 70+ step 5 games a day. Is that right?
Can you build up enough credits and combine them to buy your way into step 5?
As you probally noticed I am new to this forum and on-line poker, but I do play alot of cash games. on-line is totally different.
Thank Mike

DonButtons
01-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Giga plays a lot, he pulls like 18 hour shifts on those step 5s. I dont know about 70, but I could imagine at least 40 a day.

CUonCRUISE
01-04-2005, 03:00 PM
There are a bunch of players buying directly into step 5, however you can wait for a field you like. Currently I've spent another $660 and I have the followng freerolls: 1 step 2, 2 step 4, and 1 step 5. I'm going to bank up some 5's and attack on weekends.
The only way to get to step 5 is direct buyin($1065) or through the steps.
To avoid the sharks, check the names on the tournament leader board. Don't be afaid of them. I watch step 5s all the time and a lot of nonames are winning them. If you can get there for a good price you have some skill.

Mike_S
01-04-2005, 04:11 PM
Any suggestions for a new on-line player, on how to start. Like I said I play and am playing cash games, but would save me alot of travel time to just do it on the internet.
Thanks

adanthar
01-04-2005, 04:23 PM
I've gotten 2 Step 5's for about $200, starting from Step 1. Instead of playing them, I'm building a big DB with at least a few thousand hands on Gigabet and co. and will probably play in a couple of weeks when I feel it's done.

FWIW, the early Steps are harder than 3 and 4. If you hit the bubble in the last two as only mildly shortstacked you are good to go as no one has any reason to play and will autofold to your steals.

Mike_S
01-04-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm building a big DB with at least a few thousand hands on Gigabet and co.

What is DB?

Mike_S
01-04-2005, 05:13 PM
what is DB

zaxx19
01-04-2005, 05:18 PM
Prolly mean a database for his Pokertracker...much much more useful in limit ring play...IMHO.

adanthar
01-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Yeah, it's more useful in ring, but it's still nice for this type of stuff. There's a big difference between a VP$IP 30 and a 20, even in a Step 5...not to mention that if I have somebody shotgunning the tourney I can quickly have them look up every hand the other guy in the pot's ever shown down.