PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about this statement?

fimbulwinter
01-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I was talkin to a live game pro while watching the big NL game at the bellagio (we were waiting for a seat at our respective games) and commented that a lot of the pros I'd watched were great readers but what i would consider way way too loose preflop when in position. As an internet player, i've always assumed (or have been led to assume) that one of my larger overlays against weaker players is the simple act of playing better starters.

He responded by saying that the difference isnt so much in hands, but in being "dumb loose" (like calling raises out of position and with probably dominated hands) rather than "smart loose". Watching the tables, the two guys who i thought were playing best also had some of the highest VP$IP's, especially when in LP. I'd still think that long term they're leaking chips, but hey, these guys pay the rent and eat from their stacks, so I'd assume they've got a vested interest in playing optimally.

fim

ps- this especially made no sense in light of the fact that PFR's were generally huge compared to the blinds and stacks short. No matter how good you are, calling off 10BB's from the button with an offsuit semiconnector can't be +ev, right?

greg nice
01-02-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No matter how good you are, calling off 10BB's from the button with an offsuit semiconnector can't be +ev, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends how deep everyone is and how willing they are to pay off post flop

DBowling
01-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Its interesting becase i was playing a marathon session at commerce (21 hours) and i started to think that 15%vpip and 5%pfr (my typical stats online)isnt any good with live play. It gives too much away with observant opponents (which you are more likely to be up against live).
I still cant bring my self to cold call big raises with crap, but im trying to limp a lot more in lp with suited gappers and off suited connectors. If someone is deep (150-200bbs+) and makes a smallish raise (3-6bbs) im more inclined to call with these same hands to try to bust them.