PDA

View Full Version : How Tough Are Party 7 Stud Games?

gaming_mouse
01-02-2005, 08:02 AM
I'm a limit HE player, but every now and then I mess around on the 1/2 stud games at Party. I havn't played enough -- and don't know enough about stud -- to have a good feel for how soft the games are.

Could anyone say, in relative terms of softness, how the 7 stud 3/6 game at Party compares to the the 3/6 HE game? Is the game soft enough to merit some more serious study on my part?

TIA,
gm

Michael Davis
01-02-2005, 08:14 AM
The stud game is much softer than the hold em game at 3/6. If you go higher than 3/6, though, you're in real trouble unless there is a known soft spot in the game. Although CDC is apparently playing in the 10-20 and remarked at one time that the games were good.

Chris Daddy Cool
01-02-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The stud game is much softer than the hold em game at 3/6. If you go higher than 3/6, though, you're in real trouble unless there is a known soft spot in the game. Although CDC is apparently playing in the 10-20 and remarked at one time that the games were good.

[/ QUOTE ]

at certain times up to 5/10 is very beatable. 10/20 can range from okay to bad. i don't think i ever encountered a "good" 10/20 game, though it's my belief that a decent winning stud player could probably beat it.

Michael Emery
01-02-2005, 10:09 AM
The 10-20 and 20-40 games on party are what I would classify as average games at most times. The exception of course, like all games, is when a few really live ones make their way to the tables. As for the regular players at those limits its my experience most of them can play. The 3-6 games are a joke. As for the 5-10 a lot of times you'll encounter a very good game, other times depending on the line-up, a rock fest.

Mike Emery

nate1729
01-02-2005, 10:41 AM
3/6 stud is very soft on Party, soft enough to warrant serious study. 5/10 is also easily profitable for the good player, and you'll see frequent mistakes at 10/20, but both are much tougher than their LHE counterparts. (I haven't played 3/6 LHE, but I'd imagine that's very very soft, too.)

ChipWrecked
01-02-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and don't know enough about stud

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd stay clear of 3/6 stud if you don't want to pay some heavy tuition. Learn the game over at Stars at the cheap tables (the ante is steep in the .50 Party game).

RudeboyOi
01-02-2005, 01:23 PM
get out your dice cause its a crapshoot. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

its a very weak and loose game. if you have a sufficient bankroll to handle swings, and a reasonable knowledge of how to play the game well, you'll come out ahead in the long run. just be ready for those swings.

nate1729
01-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd disagree with this; variance is high in stud games, and certainly in loose stud games, but if you take the time to learn the game your EV will be so high you won't need such a big roll to handle the downswings.

jon_1van
01-02-2005, 09:03 PM
I don't have any knowledge of the Stud games on Party that are higher than 3/6.

I find the .5/1.00 and 1/2 games annoying because of the extremely high ante. But the 3/6 game is great in my opinion.

Just the 2+2 stud book give it a quick read and you should start off on the right foot. The game is weak enough that you shouldn't risk too much if you don't go crazy.

However, stud is much harder to multi table (because you need to pay close attention to the upcards). Because of this I have given serious thought to trying to learn LHE (my worst game by far). But stud is sooo much more fun in my opinion. And because I don't play strictly for money I've stayed at the stud tables

jeffraider
01-03-2005, 03:59 AM
The Stars .04/.08 game is great for learning, if you can adjust to the nano-limits. .01 ante, and honestly, only fairly loose play, compared to the hold em games of the same limit. I'm using $10 at Stars to learn the basics of Stud and Stud8, Omaha and O8. Cheap learning.

Klak
01-03-2005, 12:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd disagree with this; variance is high in stud games, and certainly in loose stud games, but if you take the time to learn the game your EV will be so high you won't need such a big roll to handle the downswings.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the varience has more to do with the insane antes on party poker more than anything.

lstream
01-03-2005, 04:12 PM
It sounds like you are in the same place I was 3 - 4 months ago. I decided that I wanted to try on-line stud, but was pretty paranoid about getting clobbered. I have played quite a lot of stud with friends and family, and ended up doing OK. My knowledge of the game was fair in my estimation. I took the time to study and practice with a simulator before trying live games. I estimate that I played 20,000 hands on a simulator as part of the "training". I wanted to be sure I could beat the simulator before risking real money.

My first and only experience so far has been on the Empire/Party $3/6 game. My opinion is probably in between the people who say the game is really soft and those who say you are going to get an expensive tuition if you are not careful.

I have seen some games that are a joke, where anyone with a bit of common sense and patience could easily win. I have also been at tables where mostly everyone there is playing a pretty respectable game. You need to be on your toes at those tables or you will get hurt. I have seem some tricky and deceptive players who have caught me and others with some pretty nice plays. You can likely avoid the tough tables by being observant - I like to play them sometimes as training for moving up to higher stakes.

There are times when the combination of good/lucky players and a bad run of cards can easily cost you $200+ in a few hours. On the other hand, you can find pure maniacs (and there are quite a few of them) and make lots of cash quick.

Bottom line is that 3/6 is a lot of fun and it can be profitable if you play a solid tight/aggressive game. I suspect some of the really experienced guys who have answered your question are easily making more that 3BB/hr playing the 3/6 game. For someone starting out, it is not unreasonable to expect 2-3 BB/hr. I agree with the guys who warn of the variances - there are times when you just can't seem to do anything right. If you know these times are coming then it will be easier to deal with them when the time comes.

nate1729
01-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Well, at the lowest limits, yeah. But at those limits, the edge you have will be even huger.