PDA

View Full Version : Queen high flush draw against a maniac

DrewOnTilt
01-02-2005, 06:07 AM
At a live $5-$10 game I played with a maniac who would cap the preflop betting with any 2 suited cards or any 2 connectors. He would bet out, reraise, and cap the flop on any draw.

The two limpers in this hand had folded on previous hands when I played back at the maniac.

Here we go:
Hero has the button with Q /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif
2 callers, Maniac raises, Hero 3-bets, blinds fold, limpers call, Maniac caps, all call

Flop is 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/spade.gif
2 checks, Maniac bets

This guy would lead out with either the flush or the straight draw, or even a pair of 4s with no kicker.

Who raises here to drive the limpers out? Like I said, they had folded in previous hands where I raised the maniac on the flop. On the one hand, if I just call and make my flush, I will likely get paid off nicely. On the other hand, if I can get the limpers to fold then my queen high may very well win unimproved.

So - call or blast away?

Shillx
01-02-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't get the PF 3-bet. Just coldcall and hope others follow suit.

I'm raising this flop. The pot is huge and I want to maximize my outs. Make the pot smaller and I just call.

Brad

DrewOnTilt
01-02-2005, 06:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the PF 3-bet. Just coldcall and hope others follow suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3-bet it to get the blinds to fold. I wasn't considering the flush at this point, but I wanted to fold everyone except the maniac out of the hand if possible.

If I pair the ten on the flop then I have to worry about overcards. If I pair the queen then my kicker is mediocre. The maniac does not scare me here, but I want the other players out.

Then again, the 3-bet does make the pot huge, and gives gutshots and other weak draws the odds to chase. Are you saying that this possible disadvantage is not offset by thinning the field and cleaning up outs preflop?

Rudbaeck
01-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Got to raise here, you seriously want to clean up your queens, and possibly your tens as well.