PDA

View Full Version : Marginal suited hands

ddubois
01-02-2005, 05:19 AM
I was thinking about this topic (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1450675&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) some more recently.

For reasons I can not explain, I seem to have an inexplicable affection for marginal suited hands like J9s, and find excuses to play them. They look pretty, I guess. Even worse, too often I do it from somewhere like MP, and am obligated to call one more when there's a raise behind me. And of course, the other way I VP$IP with these is calling a raise when I'm in the BB, or limping in the SB.

I had never before looked at the results of this peculiar habit, but after roughly 24,000 $3/6 hands (filtered to 7+ handed) in the last 3 months, PokerTracker reveals:

http://ddubois.bounceme.net/poker/marginal_suiteds.jpg

So it would seem I do not have enough hands to really gauge how worthy individual hands are. K9s is probably +EV, but the fact that I am making money with T8s while losing with J9s I take as an indicator that my sample size is too small. Due to this sample size issue, I can look at the data at http://www.pokerroom.com/games/evstats/positionStats.php?players=10. The data there would seem to indicate playing most of the top half of that chart is profitable under the right conditions. As for my personal data, Net seems directly correlated to W$SD, which just measures how well I was running with that hand over my small sample size, limited further by my small VP$IP with these hands. Not terribly telling.

That said, patterns are definately revealed. 65s-32s are utter [censored]! Wow! I mean, deep down I knew in my heart I was not profitable with these but I didn't know how bad it was. I will definately stop VP$IP with these. It turns out I'm not even proftiable with them from the button/CO, and neither are the patrons of PokerRoom.

With the ten-and-up marginal suiteds, however, it's less clear. Does anyone care to share their results and/or thoughts regarding the K9s,Q9s,Q8s,J9s,J8s,T8s,T7s hands? Are they profitable for you? Under what specific conditions are you playing them? Is it a good or bad idea to use the PokerRoom statistics as a guide for where I should consider playing these hands? Am I invoking a litany of "fold preflop" responses?

Gatts
01-02-2005, 01:40 PM
K9s is a limp from anywhere in a Loose-passive table except UTG, and an isolation raise. The others are limps on the CO/Button with loose blinds and 3 limpers.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-02-2005, 01:46 PM
From anywhere except in the blinds, or in LP with 4+ limpers in front, Q9s, J8s, 97s, 86s, 65s, 64s, 54s, and 43s are AUTO MUCKS.

ddubois
01-02-2005, 02:37 PM
I feel dumb for asking this now, but, does that Net include the cost of the blinds? According to that chart, I was in the blind 292 times I was dealt those hands, so I had an upfront cost of somewhere around $584 assuming an even distribution of SB and BB. If that's the case, maybe I was too hard on myself in my first post?