PDA

View Full Version : $1/$2 6-max tables... a few questions...

Ray Of Light
01-02-2005, 03:10 AM
I have played $0.5/$1 to $1/$2 full ring games successfully on Party. However, I have now started to play $1/$2 6 seater games, so I have a few questions about what I should expect at this level...

1. I understand that shorthanded variance is greater than full ring game variance. But is that increase due to my playing more hands per hour, or is it due to an incease in aggressiveness from your opponents (more raising/bluffing)?

2. I have read a sklansky comment that said that 6 seater game isn't really shorthanded, and that I should simply treat a loose/6 seater game as though it were a full ring game that has had the first three players fold their cards... is this a good general approach to preflop strategy?

3. Finally, post flop, I always stick to the odds and basic ABC play. However, I am finding that I am being bluffed off hands a lot more by over aggressive players chasing a single overcard (only for me to find out that my second pair/medim kicker was the best hand). As I only play two tables at a time, I find that I can get a good read on my opposition. Should I abandon ABC play when I believe I am being bluffed, or should I continue to 'stick to the odds' and fold these poorer hands?

P.S.

I have done multiple searches for posts on shorthanded play, but nearly all the posts deal with $5/$10 Party, which I believe to be a completely different game compared to $1/$2 Party.

DeathDonkey
01-02-2005, 03:17 AM
The HUSH forum may be better but I have started playing these so I'll chime in.

1: Yes and Yes.

2: Sounds reasonable. My strategy is to raise alot and never, I mean never, open limp. My VPIP is about 30 but I think that's too loose, I don't know what's "good" but I'm winning.

3: "stick to the odds" includes the possibility that they are bluffing, you just have to know how to quantify it. To answer your question, I do see more bluffing at these tables than full ring. My advice, if you think its close between calling down and folding, call down. But don't just think "I hit a pair, I'm seeing a showdown" or you will be just like them, the reason these games are so good is this shorthanded attitude.

ps: These 1/2 6 max games are tough, really tough, with lots of amazing-playing opponents and no fish at all, so do yourself a favor and avoid them at all costs!

pps: Sarcasm is completely lost on the internet. These games rock.

-DeathDonkey

mmbt0ne
01-02-2005, 03:25 AM
I've been working on my 6-max game over at Gaming Club. They have .50/1 6-handed, and the players there are awful. Plus it's giving me the chance to clear up some bonus cash while I'm learning. I read HUSH a lot before I jumped in, but really, there's nothing you can do but try it. I think MEbenhoe made a starting hands chart that will give you some idea of how to adjust your game, and you can just expand from there.

Good luck.

bennyk
01-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Read This (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1215269&PHP SESSID=&fpart=1#Post1215269)
It should be helpful at 1/2 and up.

bk