PDA

View Full Version : What do you think makes a good poker player.

vicpanic
01-02-2005, 01:46 AM

Entity
01-02-2005, 01:57 AM
Adaptability.

dogmeat
01-02-2005, 02:08 AM
Patience - Understanding - Compassion - Humility - Devotion - Understanding - Passion - Ambition - Mental stability, alertness and toughness. Courage.

or

The three B's: Brains, balls and bankroll - not necessarily in that order.

When you understand how each of the words above fit best into a poker player's make-up, you will be not just a good, but a great player.

Honest /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

emonrad87
01-02-2005, 02:32 AM
Me. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bob Moss
01-02-2005, 02:54 AM
Compasion???

Bob

pfkaok
01-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Smart enough to understand the odds/theory

disciplined enough to learn and apply it

controlled enough to always play your best.

Humble enough to know that there are others who are better than you.

Objective enough to realize when you're playing with those others who are better than you, and realizing when you don't have the best of it

tranquil enough to not let the short run get you down when you're running bad, but rational enough to know when its not just bad luck making you lose.

Trusting that when you make less mistakes than your opponents you WILL win in the long run.

Knowing that the "long run" is realy, really F'ing long

Shawn Keller
01-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Intelligently designed tight preflop strategy, over all tight aggressive poker. Furthermore player must have excellent game selection, be able to quickly evaluate opponents strategys, excellent hand reading abilities. Capacity to view chips as units of betting not as money. Minimal tilt susceptibility, or when they realize that they aren't playing there A game they stop on there blinds for till they regain there focus. Thats my short list off the top of my head . /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Best of Luck!

Shawn "Lightning" Keller

Zetack
01-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Define good.

I suppose that a poker player who gave plenty to charities, and was kind and compassionate and helpful to others would be a good poker player. Wouldn't necessarily play well though...

--Zetack

BusterStacks
01-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Hand reading.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
01-02-2005, 06:02 PM
Emotional stability. And brains.

James282
01-02-2005, 06:30 PM
Playing the worst players for the biggest amount of money.
-James

Stork
01-02-2005, 06:33 PM
A fairly large penis.

Bill C
01-02-2005, 07:42 PM
He's gotta have at least some gamble in him. And the wisdom to balance it with good play so he doesn't just gamble off all his chips.

bill

sublime
01-02-2005, 07:51 PM
my opponents being less skilled than i am

Evan
01-02-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Playing the worst players for the biggest amount of money.

[/ QUOTE ]
...that they can afford. (seriously, that's just as important as anything else for a lot of people)

Rah
01-02-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Define good.

I suppose that a poker player who gave plenty to charities, and was kind and compassionate and helpful to others would be a good poker player. Wouldn't necessarily play well though...

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't wanna be an ass, but if the author could define good in this context himself, he wouldn't post this thread.

Bluffoon
01-02-2005, 08:41 PM
The abilty to process large amounts of information quickly, dinstinguish what is relevant and to make correct decisions based on this information.

sweetjazz
01-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Skillz. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, a lot of good answers in this thread -- I really like Bluffoon's response. But I think that understanding the issues of bankroll management is essential to being a successful player, and is often overlooked. It doesn't do much good to be an otherwise expert poker player if you don't have any money because your bankroll couldn't withstand the variance of the games you were playing.

Leo Bello
01-02-2005, 10:25 PM
Discipline. Once u learn the skills, read and begin to play well, u need to have discipline, to keep at your best game, avoid tilt, marginal situations, play in bad conditions, learning when to leave a table, when to stop and when to push. Discipline to keep studying and learning, even tough u consider yourself a winning player. Discipline to manage your bankroll.

So, besides the basic skills every poker player needs, discipline is key.

Emmitt2222
01-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I have always really thought about this. I look at someone like GuyOnTilt and I just am in awe at how he just seems so naturally good. What in the world makes him so good? He should write a book, Id buy it.
For the most part I think it requires patience [in terms of bankroll management and looking at the long term to avoid tilt] and then also math/hand reading. Being decisive helps too I think.

theBruiser500
01-03-2005, 02:27 AM
"I have always really thought about this. I look at someone like GuyOnTilt and I just am in awe at how he just seems so naturally good."

This is how I looked at good players originally. But I've come to learn that good players aren't born being able to play like that, it comes with hard work and time.

augie00
01-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Patience and cold blood.

Kenrick
01-03-2005, 07:01 AM
WHen it comes down to it, over the long haul, any professional gambler who doesn't have discipline has nothing. They will disrespect their bankroll and overplay their abilities. And then they will lose and have nothing. I'd say a good player limits his weaknesses more than he pushes his strengths. If you want to be around for awhile, you need consistency.