PDA

View Full Version : AK problem

11-04-2001, 06:20 PM
I seem to have trouble knowing what to do in the folowing situation: I have AKo or the like and raise pre-flop. I get one or two callers say, one of which might be in the blind. Anyhow, the flop comes jack high or ten high, they check to me and I bet. Sometimes I'm check-raised, or if a small card comes on the turn they bet out. Hmm, I'm not sure what to do in these situations. Should I check the flop (they'll bet the turn for sure if a blank comes)? A good example: I raise first in with AQ on the button, flop comes ten high. SB check raises me. Turn is a blank, he bets. River is a king, he checks. I don't think I can bluff the king, so I check it down and lose to T5o. What can I do differently in these situations to make the most a a good hand? As always, thanks guys.

-MD

P.S. 5-10 PP full table, and I've only been showing down the goods.

11-05-2001, 05:43 AM
There's a very good article on how to play AK by Slotboom (common poker myths i think it's called) in the pokerpages archives. How to play postflop really depends on the presence of a draw. Often the best play is to just call preflop depending on position and the number of players already in.

11-06-2001, 01:11 AM
I've lost more money because of AKs or AKo than any other pocket cards. Recently, I've changed my approach. I believe your chances of pairing on the flop are about 36% so it's always good to raise preflop with two or more callers. I don't know if it's worth pursuing if the flop doesn't help. It depends on what other outs you have and how the other players are betting. I like your idea of betting if the others don't and you are last to act, but if you get checkraised you should consider folding. You might be able to get a free card but it all depends on who you are playing and what they are holding. By the way, if any more experienced players note anything terrible about what I said feel free to enlighten me.