PDA

View Full Version : TPTK vs a preflop 3-bet

MarkL444
01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
This is a pretty common situation I find myself in and I dont know what the best plan of action is.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero...

UTG is unkown, MP2 is TAG, very likely a 2+2er.

Is the plan to bet, call a raise, and then check/fold the turn unimproved? Does it make any difference what the turn is?

BottlesOf
01-01-2005, 10:56 PM
I don't like that plan. He could easily bet AK and plan to fold to a turn c/r.

MarkL444
01-01-2005, 10:58 PM
but, easy flop bet?

shaundeeb
01-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Yes, by betting the flop you get a sense of where you are if he raises you and is truely a TAG you are behin. Still you have 5 outs to improve and beat his overpair. Often a TAG will raise the flop in hopes of using that to bluff you out. I usually Check/call to the river with TP/TK. I noticed a lot people will show over AK or 1010 and you take down the pot.

01-01-2005, 11:09 PM
I normally bet this flop..but thinking some more.. this is a very good flop for your hand.
I think by check/raising the flop you can:
1) Better define your hand (by his action).
2) Perhaps capture UTG for an extra bet or two which I think more than makes up for the time MP2 has an overpair.

What I say here is definately up for debate.

BottlesOf
01-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Easy as in you have enough of a hand? Sure. I'd bet the flop.

I think a flop c/r is preffereable to what you originally outlined, though. But if he's decent, this isn't great as he'll call and fold the turn unimproved, but he'll prag you with an overpair. I'd bet, call a raise, check the turn and probably bet the river.

RED_RAIN
01-02-2005, 01:53 AM
I think this is a pretty easy check/raise situation. At least what I do.

I'm not big into letting people see a lot of cards regardless of their outs. I try to win pots and I don't feel a pair of jacks is all that great.

And I check/raise the flop, I'll put UTG in a hard situation and can see better what MP2 (espeically if 2+2 and good since 2+2 means little) has an over pair with his 3 bet as he will likely 3 bet the flop.