PDA

View Full Version : need help adjusting to very tight games

pokerjunky
01-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I've been playing at Absolute Poker 1/2 lately only to clear my bonus then I'm outta there. Play is unbelievably tight. The only thing that's paying me off is stealing the blinds and stabbing at some small pots. I typically find myself opening no matter what position I'm in.

My question is what kind of hands should I be open limping with and what kind of hands should I be open raising with? For example, would I open raise in middle position with A2 suited or pocket 55 when typically everyone folds to the blinds? I'm thinking drawing hands like 67 suited are out of the question here but I'm not too sure.

Just having a little trouble adjusting to this type of play.

zuluking
01-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Just play nice TA/A poker, clear your bonus and get the hell out of there! Then come back to Party or one of the skins and make some money. Good luck!

pindawg
01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing at Absolute Poker 1/2 lately only to clear my bonus then I'm outta there. Play is unbelievably tight. The only thing that's paying me off is stealing the blinds and stabbing at some small pots. I typically find myself opening no matter what position I'm in.

My question is what kind of hands should I be open limping with and what kind of hands should I be open raising with? For example, would I open raise in middle position with A2 suited or pocket 55 when typically everyone folds to the blinds? I'm thinking drawing hands like 67 suited are out of the question here but I'm not too sure.

Just having a little trouble adjusting to this type of play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would stay away form weak Aces, but open raise with suited connectors or even suited one gappers. These players are actually a lot to play agaisnt because you can put them a narrower range of hands. Once you hit a couple flops and show down some pots with 79s vs their AQ then they might loosen up a bit. Drawing hands are some of the best hands to play agasint tight players IMO

Entity
01-01-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Drawing hands are some of the best hands to play agasint tight players IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

This is generally incorrect. Suited connectors gain their value from implied odds, which you are not seeing here. There are metagame considerations, but these are generally not worthwhile at a TP-P table. Yeah, I'd raise JTs from MP against these guys if it meant I was very likely to steal the blinds; I wouldn't raise it UTG, though -- in fact, I'd just fold it UTG.

Raise from MP2+ with 66+ if the players after you are tight. Expect to steal the blinds often. Expect to be bored, and to make very little money in general. TP-P games suck.

Rob

overtly spruce
01-01-2005, 11:01 PM
I'd agree with carpal here, because suited connectors gain their strength from implied odds they are not very effective for bringing down blinds, if you get a caller you are holding an easily dominated hand which you really only want to be betting if it is a drawing hand after you've seen the flop. Instead rely on stronger speculative hands for stealing those blinds so you can protect yourself a little better, such as your small pairs or hands with top pair potential like TQos. Don't get caught with your pants down in early position with your weak aces or flush drawing hands, blinds arent worth it. Your playing for pots.

Shillx
01-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Avoid tight games. If you ever see me in a game, take a seat it is probably a good game. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brad