PDA

View Full Version : rolf slotboom quiz question:

imported_stealthcow
01-01-2005, 06:34 PM
13) You're one off the button with Jh Jc. Seat # 4 has raised to $20 and has been called by seat # 6. What do you do?

his scoring

fold ( 7 points)
call ( 5 points)
raise (4 points)

his reasoning:

You figure to be up against high cards or, even worse, a higher pair (an under-the-gun raise usually means you're up against a quality hand). Even though you have a fine starting hand, you're not going to reraise here as any ace, king or queen on the flop would force you to give up your hand. In fact, this hand could prove quite expensive even if only low cards flop: you're going to play your hand, maybe even aggressively, hoping the raiser doesn't have AA, KK or QQ. The only way you can really like your hand is when a jack flops and the odds against that are 7.5 to 1. If you look at the situation like this, your hand isn't much stronger than a pair of deuces and folding here (don't show your hand to anyone!) might not be such a bad idea.

do you guys agree? i am not at the mid/high stakes limit level but i thought this was a standard raise. only hands utg you are worrieda bout having are AA KK QQ. and the caller, unless a really tricky player doesn't have those hands beat.
and if utg has AKs AK AQs AQ JJ TT or 99 you are in good position.

mike l.
01-01-2005, 06:37 PM
"do you guys agree?"

no. no good regular poster here will agree. we pretty much determined awhile back that rolf is very confused on some fundamental hold em concepts and his advice is spotty at best. do not follow his advice.

Wheezl
01-01-2005, 06:42 PM
fold (0 points)
call (5 points)
raise (7 points)

Am I off here? or is calling better?

Steve Giufre
01-01-2005, 06:53 PM
I dont remember that article but wow that is just gross advice.

etizzle
01-01-2005, 06:56 PM
fold 0 points
call 0 points
raise----> lots of points

Slotboom gives really bad hold em advice. This is always, always, always a raise.

ClaytonN
01-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Before you guys pounce on him, remember that Rolf plays Hold'Em games in Europe where the rake is larger I believe, and the play is significantly tighter. Rolf's advice is comparable to that of a very T- AG

His advice is for games in his environment, as compared to the loosey-goosey games we see a lot of in American cardrooms at such stakes.

Steve Giufre
01-01-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Before you guys pounce on him, remember that Rolf plays Hold'Em games in Europe where the rake is larger I believe, and the play is significantly tighter.

His advice is for games in his environment, as compared to the loosey-goosey games we see a lot of in American cardrooms at such stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

When he doesnt give any player info on the preflop raiser I think we all have to assume he is an unknown, and two jacks is a three bet hand agaist all but the very tightest preflop raisers. I guess what you are saying should be taken into consideration though.

Rolf Slotboom
01-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Hi Stealthcow,

Just a couple of months ago, there was some furious discussion on the advice in this quiz, and also when the quiz was published in the now demised Poker Digest magazine (more than four years ago, early or middle 2001) the advice I gave was questioned on more than one occasion. In this thread a few months ago I basically acknowledged that I wasn't too pleased with the advice in this quiz myself, and that especially with the changed game conditions since the Internet boom most of the advice doesn't apply anymore - and that in fact, even when it was published, some of it was very questionable at times. (For my exact comments, just check out the archives.) Because the quiz is still available on Poker Pages, some people think it is a new piece, but it is not. A newer quiz is one that can be found on the CardPlayer site. This is a quiz from early 2003, and I like this one a bit better than the first, even though also there I think I could have done much better. Anyway, hope this helps.

Rolf Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com (http://www.rolfslotboom.com)

Rolf Slotboom

mike l.
01-01-2005, 07:24 PM
well done rolf.

to rolf's credit he is a good *writer* and card player (and the other magazines out now) is, from what i understand, primarily concerned with publishing readable poker content, and that's more important to them than what the actual content is. and the editors of card player wouldnt know sound excellent poker advice if it bit them on the ass. that said, i do admit that there are sometimes interesting articles by people like rolf, brier, cooke, and shykofsky or whoever that guy is who writes the mid limit thingy (although he is spotty too and i think he'd have trouble on here in some threads). and tannenbaum, i think that's his name. there's some okay stuff seeing as it's free. and i still like john vorhaus.

imported_stealthcow
01-01-2005, 08:53 PM
he rolf, thanks a lot for the reply.

its good to see someone willing to admit error on something. especially because of the often harsh critism that comes from 2+2 ( i remember taht one post where someone mailed a cardplayer writer, only to get something about how internet players aren't nearly as good as they think they are )

and mike l. i knew there was no way in hell you would lay down JJ in this position

MicroBob
01-01-2005, 09:22 PM
A few comments.

- Folding is bad here

- Kudos to Rolf for his appearance. I frequently disagree with his advice....but he is very professional and polite in his posts here in spite of the criticisms he takes. Mucho respect for the man. His column in card-player is one of the few that I still enjoy reading.

- Shykovsky's ideas are bizarrely weak-tight and bad. I posted one of his articles in the SS-forum a couple months ago. In it, he folded his AA in a big pot on the turn because he was sure he read his opponent as having quad-9's. It was ridiculous.
I've read a couple more of Shykovsky's columns and thought they were bad too.
He is the master of folding reasonably strong hands to minimal resistence in huge pots to save 1 mesely bet.

- From what I have read of some posters who have played in Europe (either from the U.S. and travelling there....OR native Europeans) the games there can be REALLY wild.
I've never played in Europe so I don't know..but I thought I had read reports of really crazy/wild games in vienna, sweden, elsewhere.

mike l.
01-01-2005, 09:24 PM
"and mike l. i knew there was no way in hell you would lay down JJ in this position"

think again. ive layed down JJ for a raise (and correctly i might add) against certain players on more than one occasion.

bernie
01-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Rolf,

Keep this post handy. You may need it about every 4-6 months.

b

4thstreetpete
01-01-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Stealthcow,

Just a couple of months ago, there was some furious discussion on the advice in this quiz, and also when the quiz was published in the now demised Poker Digest magazine (more than four years ago, early or middle 2001) the advice I gave was questioned on more than one occasion. In this thread a few months ago I basically acknowledged that I wasn't too pleased with the advice in this quiz myself, and that especially with the changed game conditions since the Internet boom most of the advice doesn't apply anymore - and that in fact, even when it was published, some of it was very questionable at times. (For my exact comments, just check out the archives.) Because the quiz is still available on Poker Pages, some people think it is a new piece, but it is not. A newer quiz is one that can be found on the CardPlayer site. This is a quiz from early 2003, and I like this one a bit better than the first, even though also there I think I could have done much better. Anyway, hope this helps.

Rolf Slotboom

Rolf Slotboom

[/ QUOTE ]

Woooo, Rolf is in da house.
Rolf I've been reading a lot of your columns and unlike most of the 2+2s here I think your advice are gold. I don't find myself disagreeing with you often and when I do it challenges me to focua a lot of different aspects of my game that I've never thought about before. Keep up the great work.

Rolf Slotboom
01-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks Pete - I appreciate it.
Rolf.