PDA

View Full Version : Lost to quads

barrem23
01-01-2005, 04:23 PM
I have a question about a recent hand. I just finished a 327 person tournament, went out 156th.

The hand in question was a K-4 diamonds in the SB. 4 callers and the BB was a bit passive side.

Pre-Flop the pot was 500, no raises. BB is 100.
The flop comes 5h 8d 3d. I check and BB raises 150. The next 2 players fold and then a call. So pot is 800 and I decide to call 150 with 2 cards to come, on my flush draw.

Turn is Qd I bet 200. BB folds and other player calls. River is 3c. I go all in and get called.

Also note is that I was a bit on the low side of the chip count so I needed a pot to be able to play right.

So basically is there anything that I missed that could have told me that I was dead??

zaxx19
01-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Can we get some stack sizes please and avg stack count for tourney??

Seems like you made a bet on the end that could only be called by someone that had you beat...is this ever a good thing?? I mean it seems like people on here sometimes just cant check fold a large pot...thats not really a good thing when it appears you might be beat...I call it Stackitis, you guys need a huge stack or you will take your KEM's and go home.

DVC Calif
01-01-2005, 09:26 PM
I don't like the push on the river. When the board paired, you needed to consider whether someone might have been slowplaying a flopped set, making a boat full of 3's.

I hate the minraise on the turn. Although I understand you trying to boost the pot and keep callers in, you also have to consider whether you are giving pot odds to someone playing the A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, who might make the true nuts on the river. I could see A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif limping in late position and calling on that flop.

A stronger turn bet and a more cautious river bet might have saved you some chips.

Steve

Masquerade
01-02-2005, 12:20 AM
I agree with the other posters. The turn bet was too small, much too small. You have the second nuts right now ... if someone has the nut flush then OK youre going out regardless of what you do. So let's assume that you, in fact, have the best hand. I would make a very big bet here - half my stack. You're representing the flush and if reraised all-in you obviously call.

If anyone (apart from the nut flush) calls then theyre an underdog BUT if they do call you can probably put them on the nut flush draw, or a set (or just maybe two pairs). That means that if the river pairs the board or brings another flush card then you have reasonable grounds for checking and laying down your hand to bet which puts you all-in - or at least seriously considering it.