PDA

View Full Version : Hangover Cures

Eclypse
01-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Since it's New Years Day I thought it would be a good idea to list everyone's best hangover cures.

Anyone have a good one?

For me, it's eating one of those deep-fried burritos. It sounds like the last thing that would work, but for me anyway, it's just the ticket.

_2000Flushes
01-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Yeah, greasy stuff is good. I like sugary stuff as well. I don't know if these foods actually help or if they just make me happy when I'm feeling blue.

-2kF

_2000Flushes
01-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Oh, I almost forgot ...

Throwing up works wonders. Then the obvious water and Aleve.

-2kF

Zoltri
01-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Has anyone tried those Chaser pills to prevent hangovers.
Does it work?

Onaflag
01-01-2005, 12:38 PM
Alka-Seltzer + Motrin + Tylenol + as much water as you can drink. (your liver is already moosh, so what's a little more stress with this concoction) Head back to bed. If you have a little kid, get him/her to walk on your back and shoulders for 20 minutes as you drift back off. You'll wake up a couple hours later still feeling like chit, but that 2 hours of sleep is 2 hours you don't have to deal with the pain.

Onaflag..........

PoBoy321
01-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Water + Aspirin + Sleep

The water is the key. So long as you keep hydrating yourself, you'll feel better and better. After about a gallon of water, you should be good to go. Aspirin doesn't usually help me too much, but it makes things a little better while I'm drinking the water. After everything's done, take a nap and wake up around 4pm feeling awake and refreshed.

wacki
01-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Make some very burnt toast. The charcoal will absorb toxins.

Make yourself some eggs. Eggs contain large amounts of cysteine, the substance that breaks down the hangover-causing toxin acetaldehyde in the liver's easily depleted glutathione. Therefore, eggs can potentially help mop up the left-over toxins.

Eat some bananas, this will replenish the potassium lost to alcohol's diuretic effect. Other potassium-rich foods such as kiwi fruit or sports drinks work just as well.

Replenishing the body's water supply after a night of drinking combats dehydration, and it also helps dilute the leftover byproducts in the stomach. Add salt and sugar to water helps replace the sodium and glycogen lost the night before. Non-caffeinated, non-carbonated sports drinks can achieve the same effect.
Drinking a few glasses of water before going to bed helps fight dehydration after the body finishes breaking down the alcohol.

The fructose -- fruit sugar -- in fruit juice helps to naturally increase the body's energy. Studies have proven that it also increases the rate at which the body gets rid of toxins such as those left over from alcohol metabolism. Fruit juice is also a good idea the morning after because it is high in vitamins and nutrients that were depleted the night before because of alcohol's diuretic effect. Vitamin supplements high in vitamins C and B are also effective.

Aspirin is a non-caffeinated pain reliever and is also in a class of anti-inflammatory drugs known as prostaglandin inhibitors. High levels of prostaglandin have been associated with increased hangover severity. In one study, participants who took a prostaglandin inhibitor before bed reported less of a headache and less nausea and thirst than those who had drank the same amount of alcohol but did not take the prostaglandin inhibitor before bed. If you have a sensitive stomach, though, beware -- taking aspirin after drinking can make your stomach hurt even worse.

Hangover remedies such as Chaser, Sob'r-K Hangover Stopper, RU-21, Berocca and Rebound are highly varied both in price and ingredients, so their effectiveness varies accordingly. They are classified as dietary supplements, meaning:

* They contain vitamins and minerals.
* They do not require a prescription.
* They are usually taken in pill form.

According to Hangover Review, which did a study covering many of over-the-counter hangover cures on the market, the only "medically provable" supplements are Sob'r-K Hangover Stopper, Chaser and Uncle Rummie's Hangover Helper because they make use of the effective filtering qualities of carbon to reduce the number of impurities the body has to process (see "Burnt Toast" in the last section). Sob'r-K Hangover Stopper is inexpensive compared to the others, uses the highest-grade carbon and the concoction is patented; therefore, Hangover Review deemed it the smartest choice. As for RU-21, marketed as a secret KGB pill, the manufacturer says specifically that it is not an anti-hangover pill but a supplement for detoxification. (By the way, its main ingredients -- dextrose, L-Glutamine and vitamin C -- can be found in high amounts in everyday foods). Rebound has the same ingredients as RU-21 plus a few other vitamins and oddities such as "young barley grass juice powder," but it is still basically a multivitamin. Berocca, again, is not a hangover cure -- it's simply a multivitamin that claims to increase energy naturally (through vitamins).

The secret to most of these purported "miracle cures" may in fact be the amount of water a drinker ingests when taking them. Many require taking a pill (or two) with a glass (or two) of water before drinking alcohol, and then continuing to take the pills over the course of the evening with full glasses of water, before bed with a full glass of water, and upon waking with a full glass of water. The hydration alone greatly improves the chances of having little-to-no hangover, and the vitamins in the pills just give it a little, albeit expensive, boost.

Pedialyte works wonders and I highly recommend it.

Eating a full meal/multivitamins and drinking gatorade before getting drunk will do wonders. Give your body some time to absorb the food/gatorade as alcohol blocks the absorption.

ChoicestHops
01-01-2005, 02:47 PM
Obviously, it's too late now, but drinking alot of water before you crash weill help with hangovers the next day.

I stopped getting hangovers, but the day after I would usually still drink water and eat foods high in carbs.

pshreck
01-01-2005, 02:59 PM
I used Ultra Pep-Back. one time when I absolutely had to be up. It was a Saturday morning and I was hosting a 100 person party starting at about 3. I slammed a bunch of these and drank a ton of water and my hangover went away much faster than usual. Only used it one time but it worked great.

BTW Chaser just makes it harder to get a buzz. I used them, drank much more beer because all the toxins were getting abosrbed (and i couldnt get drunk). I was still very hungover the next morning.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-01-2005, 03:39 PM
DRINK WATER BEFORE YOU SLEEP.

BusterStacks
01-01-2005, 04:07 PM
me = hungover.

CCx
01-02-2005, 03:18 AM
co-sign on chaser sucking....i still got drunk, but woke up the next morning feeling downright weird after i took it - i'd rather just take the hangover and go sit in the shower

a friend of mine swears by pedialyte (http://www.pedialyte.com/) , he says drinking this when you wake up first thing with a hangover will cure you right up - i've never tried it, but plan on picking some up soon

nothumb
01-02-2005, 03:27 AM
A beer.

NT

Sponger15SB
01-02-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A beer.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread and I'm suprised it took so long for someone to say this.

gaming_mouse
01-02-2005, 05:39 AM
wacki,

really nice post.

gm

brassnuts
01-02-2005, 08:27 AM
I didn't bother reading anyone else's post because the answer is simple. After drinking a lot, drink a lot of water before you got to bed. Keep some next to you for waking up thirsty during the night. The next morning if you still feel hungover when you wake up, drink some beer. Seriously.