PDA

View Full Version : Deep stack guidelines

vanHelsing
01-01-2005, 11:18 AM
It has been just one week, when I read the article of David Sillers in the 2+2 online magazine, which caused me to give NL a serious try (PP,0.25/0.5, I started full ring, but now prefering the wild 6 max.).
And I love it!
I did well so far, but of course sample size is to small for results to be significant.

Now I realize, that most of my winnings come from average stacked games.
As soon as I double or triple my buy-in and have opponents with comparable stacks, I feel unwell and consequently I often leave, even if the table is still good.
But the deep stacked situations should be the opportunities to win (or lose) the real money, so this is a serious lack in my game.
I searched the forum to find a thread discussing some general guidelines on deep stacked tables, but couldn't find much.
Has there been some discussion on this point? Do you have a link, or can give me some keywords to search for?

Having only few instructions so far, my deep strategy was something like that:
- tighten up PF and particularly postflop when missing position. But is the tight approach a good game plan at 6 max, where acrimony is essential?
- if I have deep stacked opponents to my right, I leaned towards staying - if they are to my left, I leave.
- PPs rule - if I can get in under 10% of the lower involved stack I'll try to get in.
Is that reasonable so far?
Which more basics are there to consider?
Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Kaz The Original
01-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Deep stack no limit is my bread and butter, and while I am by no means an expert compared to many of the posters on the board, I will share my conclusions.

Pair and two pair type hands are mostly just time killers. You use them to grow your stack slightly, and make up for the blinds that eat away at your stack and all those times you call and miss.

Larger the stack size the better your hand must be. Playing with stacks of 20xBB top pair top kickers often enough to get all in on. With 50x-100x you usually want the next level of hands, flushes, straights, two pairs. With stacks of 200x the BB you'll want something preety close to the nuts to play, and anything beyond that you'll want the nuts, with redraws to more nuts.

In truly deepstack games you should never really have bets that are 10% of your stack preflop. But play pocket pairs absolutely, ESPECIALLY if you think he has AA or KK. If your opponent is solid and bad, you can literally play any two cards, but wait until you have decent experience doing this. AK becomes just another hand, unless the flop is QJ10. Hitting A94 with it is practically "missing" all things considering.