PDA

View Full Version : 79s in BB

MoDOH
01-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button is aggressive postflop >2 and has a pfr of 10%

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP3 calls, Button calls.

River: (13 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 16 BB

private joker
01-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Why not check-raise the turn if you're gonna slow down on the flop by smooth-calling? Follow through. If you're gonna bet the turn anyway, 3-bet the flop. Were those two small overcalls worth it?

private joker
01-01-2005, 08:42 AM
Never mind, I'm stupid and inebriated. You did manage to get even more overcalls on the turn, and check-raising would have just trapped the field for 2 bets. Nice hand.

Nick C
01-01-2005, 11:51 AM
It looks good to me.

Clarkmeister
01-01-2005, 05:07 PM
"If you're gonna bet the turn anyway, 3-bet the flop"

Yup. 3-bet and lead.

Nick C
01-01-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yup. 3-bet and lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I've been working on why this is, and I think I may have figured it out.

In terms of immediate odds, it's basically the same for UTG and MP3 to call two cold on the flop or (if Hero waits) to call one bet on the turn. Plus, if UTG and MP3 have the odds to call a flop raise and 3-bet (or think they do), then the extra money the flop 3-bet puts in the pot could give them even more reason to call again on the turn.

Also, if they don't like the turn card, they may give up anyway. (If either UTG or MP3 does like the turn card, that may or may not be good for Hero, but it's going to be hard to fold out hands like A9 and T9 anyway, and any 7's are almost certain to hang around, and, of course, so will slowplayed sets.)

Did I stumble onto the right idea somewhere in there?

captZEEbo1
01-01-2005, 07:21 PM
I can't think of a better way to play it...

bisonbison
01-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Get your money in with the nuts on the flop.

Schizo
01-01-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yup. 3-bet and lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you more likely to get more money out of them by smooth calling the flop and check raising the turn? I understand in this situation it would be bad because you are forcing people to coldcall, but if you were right next to the raiser wouldn't it be better to checkraise?

BottlesOf
01-01-2005, 10:54 PM
No, this would be very bad. If you do this, you not only miss out on collecting extra flop bets from those trapped in between you and the button (raiser), but you basically shut them all out, by making them face two bets cold on the turn. When contemplating c/rs it's very important to consider where the bet will come from.

Schizo
01-01-2005, 11:05 PM
That is why I included:

I understand in this situation it would be bad because you are forcing people to coldcall, but if you were right next to the raiser wouldn't it be better to checkraise?

BottlesOf
01-01-2005, 11:07 PM
I read goot. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Schizo
01-01-2005, 11:24 PM
So the answer to:

Aren't you more likely to get more money out of them by smooth calling the flop and check raising the turn? I understand in this situation it would be bad because you are forcing people to coldcall, but if you were right next to the raiser wouldn't it be better to checkraise?

Would be yes or no?

Side question. How many tables do you play while posting on 2+2. You post a lot. I can only play 2 tables and read 2+2 and even then it's not that easy. I'm still learning though so my challenges are different, but still, if you are posting and playing poker at the same time it would be very impressive.

Thanks for all the advice btw.

BottlesOf
01-01-2005, 11:32 PM
Haha, I've just posted a lot the last couple days (especially today), there are others who post a lot more than me. I only played for like 30 minutes today. I basically just hang around 2+2 while I eat and watch football, which has basically been my day today.

When I'm playing 2-4 tables, I'm not posting as much, or certainly not thoughtfully.

As for your c/r question, yes, that would be a good way to trap lots of players, although I would like to do it on the flop (if I felt I knew where the raise would come from) because people often fold the turn any way, even for one. However, against the right players, you can pull it off on the turn.

In general, many players put too much of a premium on slowplaying. If I flop a straight, I'm playing it fast. It's vulnerable and people won't give you credit for it anyway, as it's rather obscure. If you play aggressively consistently, when you play, people won't know what to make of it, and you'll win lots of money.