PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 BB call on the river with Q-high! (There is content here)

Aaron W.
01-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Paradise 1/2 game.

It's folded to me in the SB and I raise BB with QTo. BB has 3.25 SB left. I raised hoping that he would be content to fold his blind. If he called, I didn't intend to go any farther unless I had something decent. (I don't really want to go down with Queen high!)

Q1: Is this a standard raise from the SB? I hope so - in the rare event that it's folded to me there, I'm raising anything I would normally play unless I have a read that BB will call everything, in which case I'll just limp. Is this wrong?

Flop comes 337 giving me a backdoor flush draw. But I'm basically done with this hand now. I went for the steal preflop, but since he called, I'm guessing that he's going to go all the way with his remaining 2.25 SB. I check with the intention of folding, but he checks behind.

Q2: Would you continue to fire here knowing that he's almost all in? I think it's too likely for him to call you down with whatever he's got, and whatever he's got may well be better than queen high. Or not... I'm not so sure about this one.

The turn brings a jack, and brings me the first card to my flush. I check hoping that he has also given up on the hand, but now he bets and I call.

Q3: Would you lead out here?

The river brings a blank. I check and he bets his final 1/8 BB.

Q4: DO I REALLY CALL THIS ONE? It's only 1/8 BB, but I've only got queen high!

Maybe this hand belongs in HUSH, but it's such an absurd hand that I'm a little embarassed to post it there, where I never post and hardly read (for now, anyway).

Entity
01-01-2005, 04:44 AM
1) The raise preflop is standard. You are a 57/43 favorite with QTo over a random hand.

2) I'm betting the flop and the turn HU.

3) I'm calling the river. You're going to be good just barely often enough, and there are (admittedly small) metagame considerations that come along with calling a 1/8BB bet on the river with Q high.

Shillx
01-01-2005, 10:09 AM
I really don't understand why you didn't bet this flop.

One of my promises to the micro forum in the new year is properly analyzing when and when not to bet a weak hand on the flop (in a small unraised pot).

The flop doesn't figure to help him. By betting he might throw away hands that he shouldn't if he knew what you had. It is almost always worthwhile to bet the flop when you raise from the SB into the BB (unless you have some kind of a tricky plan). Call the river.

Brad

Aaron W.
01-01-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2) I'm betting the flop and the turn HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured I should have. Overcompensation does this to you.

parachute
01-01-2005, 04:30 PM
Here is the one accurate online tell I've discovered, at least at the micro-limits. If someone has only a couple of bets left, they are looking for an excuse to get rid of it. Don't trust any bets or raises from them. They're usually just looking to go out in a blaze of glory.