PDA

View Full Version : Small Blind Completing On $2-4

IggyWH
01-01-2005, 03:52 AM
I recently moved up from $1-2 to $2-4 and had some early problems adjusting. I got down big early but after a few game tweaks, I've been doing okay. Something that appears that it could be a problem for me though is completing from the small blind. My sample size is small (1098 hands) but currently my completion percentage from the small blind is 44%. I want to get some suggestions on the hands I've completed :

I've noticed myself tending to complete Ax.
I almost always complete with suited or connecters even if I'm not getting the correct pot odds at the time.
Completing low pocket pairs.

Is completing with Ace-junk bad practice? If it is, are there times I should? (my PT stats say I earn more than I lose playing AX).

Should I only play decent suited cards or connecters? For instance, I have hands like 73s and 65o that I've played.

I really don't think there's anything wrong with completing a low pair unless I fear a raise from the big blind.

In $1-2, SB was a losing hand for me (-0.08 BB won/hand). Currently, it is a winning hand for me in $2-4 (+0.01 BB won/hand). I figure that's just from the low sample size so far. Should I not worry about the 44% completing then since the samle size is too small?

Thanks,
Iggy!

Entity
01-01-2005, 03:58 AM
44% seems too high.

First of all, this is a small stakes post, but don't worry about that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ax is generally not a good completion. If the pot is 3-handed (limp from a weak button or CO or bad EP player), then I'll complete with Axo expecting it to be the best hand, but I won't complete it in a multiway pot.

Pocket pairs are insta-completes. So are suited connectors and one-gappers. Suited trash is a bit more difficult, and for really bad suited trash (like T2s), I need 4+ limpers (pot will be 6+way).

It's very rare that pocket pairs and suited connectors (with the exception of maybe 32s and 43s) would be anything other than a complete at any point in time. Your decision is different in raised pots, but in unraised pots, I'm completing 65s and 22/33/44 everytime.

Rob

cold_cash
01-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Completing every time w/ Ax is asking for it. I usually fold everything below A9o unless the pot is going to be shorthanded.

I complete with pretty much any 2 suited cards, any pair, and any 2 face cards, assuming typical table conditions and a 1/2 bet blind structure.

Disclaimer: I havent really looked at my stats out of the SB.

IggyWH
01-01-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
44% seems too high.

First of all, this is a small stakes post, but don't worry about that. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ax is generally not a good completion. If the pot is 3-handed (limp from a weak button or CO or bad EP player), then I'll complete with Axo expecting it to be the best hand, but I won't complete it in a multiway pot.

Pocket pairs are insta-completes. So are suited connectors and one-gappers. Suited trash is a bit more difficult, and for really bad suited trash (like T2s), I need 4+ limpers (pot will be 6+way).

It's very rare that pocket pairs and suited connectors (with the exception of maybe 32s and 43s) would be anything other than a complete at any point in time. Your decision is different in raised pots, but in unraised pots, I'm completing 65s and 22/33/44 everytime.

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. I once posted a $1-2 hand for a question on the small stakes forum and all hell broke loose. I was told pretty much to not come back untill $3-6.

I think one of my main problems right now is things in $1-2 became mindless for me. I'd play like a robot from the small blind.

In $2-4, I'm really going to have to play to my opponents. I got the stats, I just have to use them more often.

IggyWH
01-01-2005, 04:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Completing every time w/ Ax is asking for it. I usually fold everything below A9o unless the pot is going to be shorthanded.

I complete with pretty much any 2 suited cards, any pair, and any 2 face cards, assuming typical table conditions and a 1/2 bet blind structure.

Disclaimer: I havent really looked at my stats out of the SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the reply. I got into the habbit of playing ace junk because I don't chase low pairs often and I know when to fold. Like I said, small sample size, but I have completed with AXo from the small blind 8 times. Out of those 8 hands, I have never lost more than $2 ($1 small blind, $1 completion). I've won 2 of those 8 hands and I'm +$12.50 (0.39 BB won/hand).

So, is it possible to sustain?

Entity
01-01-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So, is it possible to sustain?

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably not.

My cutoff is A8o, not A9o, but the principle is pretty much the same.

A3o is a never complete in a multiway pot. It's unsuited trash to me.

Really, what are you looking for with an A3o completion preflop, if you aren't calling when you flop an Ace? A 333 flop? It's simply not going to happen often enough to justify the limp.

I've heard 2xVPIP is generally good for the SB, but that changes as pots are raised more often preflop.

Rob