PDA

View Full Version : Party 5/10 full hand

Paul2432
01-01-2005, 03:04 AM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

River: (8.70 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.70 BB

Anyone play this differently?

Paul

cold_cash
01-01-2005, 03:50 AM
I don't think I do.

Entity
01-01-2005, 03:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither do I.

ecooke
01-01-2005, 04:41 AM
How to play two overcards creates controversy in almost any game and I’ve had good results with either doing whatever I can to protect my holdings or getting out of the way (basically raise or fold – no rocket science there). Without a read on UTG+1 I’m going to assume he’s average and three bets from EP only with strong holdings. This mean’s the hero’s outs are almost certainly tainted and I count those two overs for about 1.5 each. That wheel is probably tainted as well so I’ll estimate it at 2 outs (assuming the 6 is of no concern). With 5 outs I’m all for continuing, which means leading the Flop hoping UTG+1 raises to protect.
So do I play it differently - yeah, I guess I do. But I could be missing something. What’s the rational for calling?

cold_cash
01-01-2005, 05:39 AM
I think the rationale is that there are very few hands our hero is ahead of, and he's basically drawing at a gut-shot because his other outs are so suspect.

Getting 12:1 plus some minimal implied odds, plus the chance that his Ace is good probably give him just enough to see the turn card, but putting in more than one bet would be like flushing your money down the toilet.

IMO there is virtually zero chance AJ is winning. Add to that the chance that a flop bet will get raised in the neighborhood of 90% of the time, and betting out just seems reckless.

If there were any chance hero had the best hand you could make a case for leading out, but how many pre-flop 3-betting hands is he ahead of, (or even drawing live against), after that flop?

ecooke
01-01-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO there is virtually zero chance AJ is winning. Add to that the chance that a flop bet will get raised in the neighborhood of 90% of the time, and betting out just seems reckless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I basically agree with your points, especially this one. Playing AJo in a pot that went 3 bets PF (I'm also not fond of kicking off the action UTG) is an unpleasant thought. But I also think calling bets when the Hero is drawing somewhere between thin and dead is equally as reckless. So if we agree that raising is reckless, why is calling better than folding? Both of our posts suggest that nearly every out is tainted so do those 3.5 outs required to push ahead really exist? Looks like not so much.

Paul2432
01-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone.

As you might guessI posted the hand because the result was so surprising. I folded the winner. UTG+1 held A9s and CO held KhTh.

I had figured there was a pretty good chance I was drawing to just four outs to split the pot.

I guess this is just one of those fluke hands.

Paul

me454555
01-01-2005, 03:11 PM
I've been 3 bet by hands like A9s and 66 recently. It frustrates me when I fold to hands like that but what can you do?

ggbman
01-01-2005, 05:10 PM
I will be alone in this i know, but i think you either fold the flop or check raise. Even though you were actually ahead, check raising might and playing the other streets strong might get your opponent off AK or AQ. I like folding more that i like calling on the flop. You came off weak, so the other guy kept betting. Also, if you get three bet on the flop, you have a much clearer picture of your outs and are likely to end up against one opponent. (King - Ten would fold)Just a different way to think about it