PDA

View Full Version : Illustrative hand of SSHE principles?

kelvin474
01-01-2005, 02:10 AM
Table had been pretty tight and bad but semi-crazy aggression had been breaking out as well. The PFR has 11% PFR (basically my standards) but also limps WAY too much (63% VPIP, happy to report thats triple mine). I

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds

(imitating Ed): "The flop has given you two overcards, a gutshot to the nuts, and a backdoor flush draw."

I have odds to at least call for the gutshot alone, so I'm not folding. I am probably behind the PFR but the PFR is likely to not be paired. Is this a good time to toss in the extra bet on a checkraise to try to clean up a Q/J, or potentially blow PFR off overcards on a later street?

cold_cash
01-01-2005, 03:04 AM
The difficult parts of this hand are going to be the turn and river.

I'd raise the flop.

kelvin474
01-01-2005, 03:35 AM
I checkraised and only the PFR called.

On the turn, it seems like I'm betting anything. If i hit the straight, I bet. If I pair, I need to protect from the many overcardy hands i could be facing, while I still have 7 outs if I am dominated, and 10 against an overpair.

If i hit a diamond I have enough combined equity from flushes straights, crappy river Qs and Js, and folding to bet I believe.

Even if i totally miss the turn, I think the folding equity is enough to bet with any 2 (betting 1 BB into a 7BB pot).

So I think I bet the turn irregardless. What do you think? Unfortunately I didnt have much read on how far this opponent went with overcards, or how fast they would shut down with an overpair postflop. Although, I do have that information now.

cold_cash
01-01-2005, 03:45 AM
I think if you're going to check-raise the flop you're committing yourself to betting the turn pretty much regardless. (Like you already said.)

Although if you don't catch on the turn against some opponents you could check and hope he checks it through. If you haven't made your hand by the turn, its obvious a free card will help you more than it will him, and if he's weak/passive enough to be afraid of another check-raise you might check it. Opponents like that are probably in the minority, however, but many will check behind w/ AK after you've check-raised the flop. Just something to ponder, I guess.

I'm a bit longwinded, but in other words, I'm betting the turn here against the vast majority of opponents I play against. (IF my flop check-raise gets it heads up, of course.)