PDA

View Full Version : calculating odds on internet poker games

high007
12-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Hey everyone,

I currently play online poker with Tigergaming. I am starting to *try* and calculate immediate pot odds, but I find that the games go just a tad to fast for me to do the exact calculations. Does anyone know of a single player poker program that I can play against multiple computer opponents, so I have time to calculate my odds? Also, is this the right approach that I am taking by practicing calculating immediate odds? While later on in my game include implied odds?

Thanks.

K C
01-01-2005, 07:36 AM
I'm not so sure that relying on software's such a bad thing, but it is true that performing these calculations in your head is better. It's never that close that a fairly rough idea isn't good enough.

Here's what I would do for now if I were you. Get a piece of paper and use it as a "cheat sheet." Start with 2 outs and go down the page to 25 outs. In each column, write down the number of multiples the pot needs to be to give you positive pot odds.

For example, if it's 9 outs, then 9/47=.19, which is roughly 4:1 (100/19-1). So, as a rule of thumb, you're going to need 4x your bet already in the pot from a pot odds perspective. I'll let you figure out the rest.

Having said that, pot odds aren't the best way to figure out the payoff if you hit. Implied odds are better, although a little more complicated. Any rule of thumb here is going to be dependant on the style of the game. However, it's fine to add a few more bets.

Here's what you can do here as a rule of thumb. If it's the flop, add 1 big bet for every player already in on this round. If 3 players are in and it's 1/2, add 6 bucks. If it's the turn, add 1 small bet for each player already in.

Remember though to only count outs that will get you winning the hand. Always be on the lookout for outs which will help your hand but may help someone else's even more.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-01-2005, 11:50 AM
Knowing your odds is easier online, since most sites show you how much is in the pot. Live, you actually have to remember to count bets to know how much is in the pot.