PDA

View Full Version : Bubble play

TheAmp
12-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi all,
Here is a hand I played at party 50+5 10 player Sng.
4 players left.BB is 400. big stack was pretty aggressive, and I (Briti) was folding alot (delt rags for 10 hands).

I was delt A3s, UTG, with 2860 chips. medium stack (2355) ,short stack SB(410) and big stack BB(4375) in front. I raised to 800.

1) I raised to 800. what do you think about that play?
my idea was that it is very likely for Sb short stack to call and then if he loses i am ITM anyway. folding that hand seems a waste since i have a good oppertunity to win chips. moreover i didnt want my oppentnts to think they can bully me and win my blinds in the future. I could have just called, but then i lose folding equity. therfore i raised to get small stack all-in. in this hand small stack did go all in (and won the hand), but if he would fold i would be in a vounerable position versus big stack if he calls (or raises).

2) post flop play.flop came with A. bigstack bet 500 and I reraised to 1000 and then he got me all in (wounded up losing all my chips - he had a better kicker). should i have folded on flop? should i just call? i figured if he has it he would bet turn.
Thanks for taking the time to help.

if you need the exact data here it is:

Seat 8 is the button
Total number of players : 4
Seat 6: scooter3780 ( $4375 )
Seat 7: Briti ( $2860 )
Seat 1: llDoubleDown ( $410 )
Seat 8: khbooks ( $2355 )
Trny:8301720 Level:7
Blinds(200/400)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Briti [ Ac 3c ]
Briti raises [800].
khbooks folds.
llDoubleDown is all-In [210]
scooter3780 calls [400].
** Dealing Flop ** [ Ad, 8s, 2h ]
cooter3780 bets [500].
Briti raises [1000].
scooter3780 is all-In [3075]
Briti is all-In [1060]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Th ]
** Dealing River ** [ Ts ]
Briti shows [ Ac, 3c ] two pairs, aces and tens.
llDoubleDown shows [ Tc, Qs ] three of a kind, tens.
scooter3780 shows [ As, Kh ] two pairs, aces and tens.
Briti finished in fourth place.
scooter3780 wins 1515 chips from side pot #2 with two pairs, aces and tens with king kicker.
scooter3780 wins 4900 chips from side pot #1 with two pairs, aces and tens with king kicker.
llDoubleDown wins 1230 chips from the main pot with three of a kind, tens.

Mr_J
12-31-2004, 09:07 PM
nasty river and turn....

I would've folded this and let shortstack go up against bigstack. I would've also saved my chips when he went all-in on the flop. But then again I have played less sngs in my life than some people have played in a day /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

raptor517
12-31-2004, 09:59 PM
first off the short stack should be playing any 2 if he hopes to have a chance at making the money. he gets at LEAST 3 to 1 on a call, so you are going to see a showdown regardless, unless you fold. i dont think you should be raising with a3 utg 4 handed. its just too weak a hand, what happens when someone plays back at you. do you call it? i play SUPER agressive on the bubble and when the blinds get up there, but thats when i have position, and i pick my spots better. the big blind is the big stack, so its not always smart to try to steal from him. i could write an essay about this, but i wont bore you all.

part 2, bigstack lead out into you. that can mean a lot of things, so dont take too much from it. after the flop, you cant get away from that hand, so dont put yourself in that spot. i duno, dont go wasting your chips stealing from the bb when someone is about to bust out, attack the medium stack right next to you when its his bb.

adanthar
12-31-2004, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
first off the short stack should be playing any 2 if he hopes to have a chance at making the money. he gets at LEAST 3 to 1 on a call, so you are going to see a showdown regardless, unless you fold. i dont think you should be raising with a3 utg 4 handed. its just too weak a hand, what happens when someone plays back at you. do you call it? i play SUPER agressive on the bubble and when the blinds get up there, but thats when i have position, and i pick my spots better. the big blind is the big stack, so its not always smart to try to steal from him. i could write an essay about this, but i wont bore you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is *mostly* correct. The problem is if the big stack comes over the top (which he should, and in a bigger buyin tourney, would, with a lot of hands) you have to fold. You're also not a giant favorite over any two cards the shortstack has. That means you probably want to let this go here. A6-A7 would make a big difference.

[ QUOTE ]
part 2, bigstack lead out into you. that can mean a lot of things, so dont take too much from it. after the flop, you cant get away from that hand, so dont put yourself in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This part is just wrong. The big stack calls, then bets into you with an A82 rainbow board and a small side pot. What do you think he has?

OK, you're not sure, so you raise and he goes all in. What do you think he has now? Do you think you can beat it?

At this buyin, this is a fold on the flop twice over - a hard one the first time and a really, REALLY easy one on the second.

raptor517
01-01-2005, 02:28 AM
so after committing yourself and your chips into that pot, with 1600 out there, you fold for 500? i dont ever enter this situation because i dont min raise with trash, so i could be wrong, but if i have a3, and i flop an ace after putting in 35% of my chips, im not going anywhere.

adanthar
01-01-2005, 03:15 AM
I may or may not have the odds to call 500 more with A3 depending on which ace I'm up against. I don't know, there's another guy in the main pot, and I need chips to steal later so I probably fold anyway. I certainly fold after that all in reraise.

[ QUOTE ]
if i have a3, and i flop an ace after putting in 35% of my chips, im not going anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm gonna make an educated guess that you lose a lot of chips in these situations.

stripsqueez
01-01-2005, 07:20 AM
fold pre-flop - you dont want to mess with the big stacks when the short stack is about to go all-in - you cant steal the blinds and A3 is not going to be a big favourite over any hand so its not like your giving away a lot

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

TheAmp
01-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi adanthar,
Thanks for your accurate analsys.