PDA

View Full Version : Super-basic question about pf play with good hands.

Grisgra
12-31-2004, 08:25 PM
I'm playing PL O/8 for the first time in a loooong while, and never really got into it that much.

So I'm clueless -- when you have a premium hand (A23x with at least something suited, AAxx, etc.), do you generally raise with it or limp with it? Does it matter whether it's a tight table pf or loose pf? Talking low-limit Party here (actually, tournament, but I'm not sure the answer will be too different).

TIA!

Acesover8s
12-31-2004, 08:40 PM
Ideally you would like to raise with any hand that has positive equity over your opponents range of hands. The problem is that most of these hands (for tight players) contain A2 combinations and you will have difficulty getting paid off by announcing your hand with a teaser raise.

An obvious solution is to either always limp OR raise with every hand you play (a better solution, IMO), or at a minimum, get caught raising with hands "other than the obvious".

The farther a table gets from the norm the more likely I am to raise preflop. A tight table may allow you to steal most any pot post-flop and a loose table is going to give you action no matter what. The inbetween ones are where you start losing some money by raising.

Ray Zee
12-31-2004, 08:41 PM
tend to raise more from latter positions and less from up front. this way you get to play in bigger pots from good position and can see what happening. from up front you can always reraise if things are right. in any pot limit game stack size determnines play decisions much of the time. good luck.

Grisgra
01-03-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks much . . . ended up finishing in the $$. Barely! Got a lot to learn about pot-limit betting . . .

Is there any hand you don't mind being near all-in with pf other than AA2x?