PDA

View Full Version : Crazy weak play by me. Analyze me. Criticize me

EliteNinja
12-31-2004, 06:57 PM
Both BB and CO are fish (bisonbison's definition).

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

During the Hand
I 'felt' that either BB or CO may be hanging on with top pair and had made trips on the river. And then I thought, 8.75BB-to-1 wasn't worth calling.

Post-game Self Analysis

Preflop
CO and BB can call with anything whatsoever (large range of hands)
Flop
Gotta bet so not to give a free card on this drawy board, even if 7.5-to-1 pot odds won't protect my hand.
Turn
The Queen does not complete a straight draw, my hand is probably still good.
River
The 5 does not complete the straight draw either, but someone MAY be holding onto a 5 from the flop. I should have checked hoping to get a free showdown, and called 1 bet.

What are YOUR thoughts? Do you think maybe I should've bet out the river?

SCfuji
12-31-2004, 06:58 PM
i still bet this river.

EliteNinja
12-31-2004, 07:03 PM
Lately, I've been feeling super-weak tight when it comes down to heads up on the river. I posted this hand as an indicator of my crappiness.

What do you think, Shillx?

Shillx
12-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Well this is one of those cases where if you check, the loose/passives will probably check worse hands behind (like a pair of 3's or 4's or something like 77). If they have a queen or trip 5's they are going to bet if you check to them. I guess they might bluff at this pot, but not often enough to justify check/calling. Anther good reason to bet is that it is a super easy fold if we get raised.

Bet/folding is almost surely the best play here.

Brad

EliteNinja
12-31-2004, 07:19 PM
I think this is a major leak in my game.
I've been playing quite weak on the river lately.
I think it just manifested itself during the last 2 weeks of play.

My went to SD percentage is only 28.4%.
It was above 30% three weeks ago.

Let's look at aggression on River:

What's yours?

Shillx
12-31-2004, 07:25 PM
River Aggression: 2.02

My aggression is pretty decieving because a lot of the pots I play are HU or short handed. I do a lot of check/calling and bluff inducing. I play a lot like Tommy Angelo. I play aggressive in multiway pots, but there are fewer of these as you move up in limits. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brad

BruinEric
01-01-2005, 03:12 AM
I'm struggling with unimproved pocket pairs with 1+ overs on the board as well, so I appreciate this post.

I think I would have played this hand the same way, but I'm not sure that is a good thing. If I'm feeling super-wussy, I might check the turn -- but that's admitting my weaknesses, not recommending a course of action.

There seems to be a class of player out there at low limits that won't re-raise a pot. So you bet out on the turn assuming that someone out there with a Q will raise you. But I'm seeing (or maybe I just _want_ to see and therefore only remember information that confirms my hunches) folks simply call rather than give me the re-raise I would use to fold.

Bettor on River is either showing trip fives (maybe A5 since some LPs will call a PF raise with an A) or hit a Q and played passively as some slowplay stunt. I see players out there hit their A on the flop and wait until the turn to bet out.